Autocorrect text typing not very good?

Last Updated:

1. TwiztedTD

TwiztedTD Member This Topic's Starter

Im not sure if its just me, but does anyone else find the autocorrect text typing lacking? Example I found with my iPhone that if I typed hime by accident it would change it to home.

I am loving my android over my iphone. I just find that the autocorrect is not as good.

Advertisement
    orcalovechile likes this.
  2. srmccoy

srmccoy Well-Known Member

The autocorrect is not as good in most cases as the iPhone, but to me it's not that bad. My biggest issue is sometimes with abbreviates or acronyms, as those often get changed without even giving me the option to save or accept it.

3. rhippler

rhippler Well-Known Member

Well it does a fine job of correcting my typos but HTC uses a different kbd than the other android phones and I presume a different spell checker. I get less errors than I did on my BB storm. now if I could just get it to accept a 'bad' word w/out adding it to the dictionary.

4. ikon

ikon Well-Known Member

Use the HTC_IME, works great. I can type as fast as my hands can move and the spell correction/prediction work really well.

5. Aaron91RS

Aaron91RS Well-Known Member

I hate this autocorrect garbage compared to the pre.
    When i want it to autocorrect like when i type u, 2, r, ur for shorthand it doesn't do squat, but type an actual word that it doesn't know and it just changes it for you and you don't realize it till you're done with the text and have to go back through the whole thing changing it's incorrect replacements.
    I hate it SO much compared to the autocorrect with added dictionary on my Pre.
    I rather be able to turn it off and at least have a wrong letter in some of my words then have the whole word changed to some random other word.

6. orcalovechile

orcalovechile New Member

--------------------

I have the new tmo mytouch 4g. It's an excellent phone, but coming from a bberry, the absence of a spell checker or auto-text library on a touch screen is a challenge. Great phone tho.

7. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

You can turn it off you know...

For me it works fine. Sometimes it picks wrong words (no autocorrect system is 100% perfect), but if you actually watch what your typing, you will normally catch it.

8. netfortius

netfortius Member

I have this one, also. I am not sure if we're referring to the same app, but auto-correction exists on mine (e.g. email - critical for me, SMS). My problem is that the correct word is ALWAYS one place on the left, in the screen list (i.e. the highlighted word does not even contain some of the letters I am tying, but it is the chosen one if continuing with text input - i.e. space bar). Any ideas?!?

9. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

I am in complete agreement - I type in other languages too so I just want to type the damn thing without spellcheck getting into my way or saving the damn word. I have had problems to where I would type something in English after that and the words from the other times come up and replace something. It is annoying but the way I prevent it from happening now is by deleting all of the added words in the dictionary and it works ok.

An option like that would be gold though, tell spell check to ignore what I am writing right from the options of the text - I do not want to be running to settings every time when I want to type in a different language and let me say some languages do not have a developed keyboard in market so even worse.

10. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

You can actually select the proper word you want and it will save it as the more common word you use. At least it does so for me on my EVO. I actually prefer the autocrrect on the EVO over my iPhone 4 due to the fact that you can "teach" it words you most frequently use very easily.

11. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

I don't have any problem with it. If you can't spell at all, it isn't going to pick up the word you're trying to spell. It saves words I use if they're not in the library.

12. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I turn off auto correct. There are just too many instances where I want to type something that is not in a dictionary.

There's an interesting story where a guy wrote "My wife and I are going to Disney" and the auto correction changed it to "My wife and I are going to divorce".

13. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

Type the word, look on the left and it's there. Touch it and it's saved....fixed.

14. joer78

joer78 New Member

On my EVO Shift, I did the Andoid upgrade a few months ago and now the spell checker on text messaging is a PIA. Some other posts say you can turn this off. How? I've looked and can not find a way to do that.

15. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Use Swype, problem solved. :)

16. gmbourret

gmbourret New Member

We have created an app, AutoCorrect Switch, which does this for you. Turn off or on while typing in the app, then email, message or copy to wherever you want the message without having to go back and forth into settings.