• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AutoKillers and Memory managers...Are they needed?

andrew53517

Android Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2009
Are they needed to help the phone kill tasks that it is running in the memory? I read it makes the phone faster a little but are they needed? I know android does a great job of canceling out programs and managing it's own tasks. But are these necessary to give the system an extra boost in management and speed?

I think the general consensus is that auto task killers cause more problems than they solve. They are great to have around to manually kill off apps running in the background, but I would not recommend using them on any kind of automatic kill setting.

In addition, I wouldn't recommend using any task killer that requires root, as there are plenty of good ones out there that do not, and it should not be necessary for their operation.

Upvote 0
I use Startup auditor - Makes the time it takes after my phone boots to it being up and running much, much, much shorter (doesn't allow the crap I don't want to startup at boot to start)

Then I use ATK whenever I feel like I want/need to. I have my music, sms, widgets, etc set to the ignore list. Just make sure ATK does not auto start or run in the notification bar, and check it on it's own kill list. It's really a 2 second process, and there's only upside, no downside (since you're killing it in the process)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones