• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AutomateIt List

TheSultan

Android Expert
Mar 6, 2010
Rochester, NY
Hey! Just came across an app that I'm loving, AutomateIt--basically a simple, free version of Tasker, that you don't need programming skills or patience to work.

I've got a few ideas on how I'm going to use this, so far my only rule that I've set up is: When the headphone jack gets plugged in, Pandora starts up.

You guys using any other rules I might want to know about?

So let's make this thread similar to the Tasker 'contexts' thread. Lay out some of what you've done, and what hurdles you've encountered in the process.

My big limitation is that I am choosing to be a wifi-only user. I have not inserted the SIM, so I'm trying all kinds of ways to get things to work without utilizing the cellphone connection. After mucking around with the free version and getting good results, I upgraded to Pro.

One thing I wanted to do was to have Navigation auto-start when I put the Exhibit II in the car. First problem is that the voice command for navigation and the 'Navigation' icon are both inaccessible to Auto-IT! Hopefully, they will include the ability to autostart widgets in a future release. But onward... I figured the best approach is to have all the underlying stuff click, and then prompt the driver (me) to press the voice command button and say where I need to go.

After a bit of research I decided it hinged on the magnetic sensor. So I installed a magnet in my car mount. It works! Needs a little sensitivity adjustment though, which means it occasionally triggers even without the magnet present.

So I had to add another trigger. Time to build my first composite trigger! I added the "power connected" trigger. Results are better. But now my Wifi limitation kicks in - I have to have the wifi connected in order to utilize the voice commands. Add "wifi connected" as the third trigger.

Should be done, right? NOPE. The thing is triggering every time I drive past an open wifi! :lol: So I had to add yet another condition: App state. If MAPS is already open, the voice prompt is suppressed. Finally it's done, at least enough to be generally functional without being annoying. Once all the conditions are met, it returns me to the correct home screen and prompts me to touch the mic on the Google widget and say "Navigate to (destination)". Now if only AutoIT could open the voice and navigation widgets....

I'll add more of my 'interesting' ones as we go along. Not gonna add "lower volume on inserting headphone jack" or anything like that as they are simple and everyone does 'em.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones