Automatic Bluetooth Pairing for CarGeneral

Last Updated:

1. dawnstacie

dawnstacie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All-
    For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this without the toggle. Is there a way that my phone will automatically switch to BT when I get into the car and when I shut the car off, it would automatically shut off. I had this with my old lg voyager?!

Thanks-
    D

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I don't think there is anything that will do this just because you are in the car. There are, however, a few apps that might come close to doing this.

Switch Me looks like it works based on the phone being plugged into a charger.

BTCall will turn bluetooth on or off when you receive/make or end a call. There is a demo too.

Bluetooth QuickToggle looks like it will turn off bluetooth as soon as you disconnect a device.

3. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Well-Known Member

It does pair automatically, however, this behavior will vary depending on what make of vehicle you are pairing with. Some work fairly well, others do not.

The Eris' bluetooth stack is pretty basic, so don't expect phonebook transfer.

Mine will pair automatically with my Mercedes ML320, about 50% of the time. When it fails to automatically pair, I have to turn the Eris' bluetooth of, then on, and then it connects to the ML.

In contrast, my previous phone (iPhone 3Gs) paired perfectly 100% of the time, and also transferred complete phone book, recent calls, and last dialed calls. The only minor problem, was that it was always an adventure making a call on AT&T, because of their crappy network.

The fact that the Eris's bluetooth implementation is not the best really bothered me at first, but the Eris does so many other things so well, that it's bluetooth capability is now just a minor annoyance. Hopefully, the Eris' bluetooth stack will be updated when Android 2.1 rolls out.

4. dawnstacie

I have a Prius and like I said, I had no problems with my Voyager. I knew not to expect the phone book transfer bc Verizon doesn't allow it. It is just annoying when I forget to toggle the BT on and I get a call in the car. It is illegal to talk on the phone without a BT or hands free set in Pennsylvania.

5. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

FWIW I just tried Switch Me really quick and it worked pretty well. When I plugged the phone in, the bluetooth switched on a couple of seconds later. The only problem I have is that for my car, I have to turn on the bluetooth for the phone first and then switch on the bluetooth for the car or it won't stay connected for too long. I have to do the opposite for my regular headset though. With the headset I have to have the headset on and then the bluetooth or it won't connect.

6. dawnstacie

When I toggle it, it turns on right away, I just forget to do it. I just wish when I got into the car and turned it on, it would automatically switch instead of me having to do it manually, like my last verizon phone!

7. NewYorkLaw

NewYorkLaw Well-Known Member

When my hero pairs with my car stereo, it automatically starts playing the built in media player and loads an mp3 file. How can I disable this association? I would prefer no music start to stream automatically, but if I have to choose a default, it'd be pandora and not the stock music player.

ANY IDEAS?
    Pete

8. arock

arock Well-Known Member

So if you leave the bluetooth on and get in the car it doesnt pair with the vehicle automatically? I dont think I fully understand the issue you are talking about. I dont know of any phone on the market that will automatically turn the bluetooth on when you get in your car. I had a dare that as long as the bluetooth was on it would automatically pair with my car because they had already been sinked together. I havent tried this yet my eris so Im not sure if it works the same way but I would imagine that it is supposed to.

9. NewYorkLaw

NewYorkLaw Well-Known Member

No, it pairs automatically, that's not the problem. The problem is that everytime it connects, the music starts to stream automatically. And, I don't want that to happen.
    Pete