• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Automatic call answering or hands free calls for Lollipop

Marsant

Jul 13, 2015
I am looking for a possibility to make hands free calls using my Medion E5001 running Android 5.0.
I have already tried about 10 apps from Google Play Store, but no joy, none of them run with the desired results on my device.
I would be happy to pay for such an app that works correctly on my phone.

Anybody who has a solution?

Thanks in advance...

To make calls you can use google now.
Ok google... call Jenny
Or Ok google... call 867-5309
On my S4 running 4.4 in settings / my device / accessibility / "answering-ending calls" is an option for "voice control (answers calls with voice commands)". That might do what you want if you have similar options buried somewhere in your device settings. It might be a Samsung thing, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Well, ok google does work for 4.4+ if screen is off provided the phone is charging. That may or may not be helpful. (btw did you know you can use ok google voice recognition for lockscreen security... it'll recognize your ok google as different than Joe Pickpocket's ok google)

Yeah, I don't know what scenario exactly op had in mind in terms of waking up the phone... perhaps button press to wake it up is allowed?

Upvote 0
Yeah surely.
Ahh I did not know that mate but I don't use a lockscreen (not even a swipe lock) as I explained in a post somewhere.....
http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/928127/ :D
EDIT just remembered you're part of that thread lol sorry mate ;)

And WOWWWWW I just tried ok google with screen off plugged in and it worked!
Learn something new....... :)

Suppose that could work if their phone's on car charger?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To make calls you can use google now.
Ok google... call Jenny
Or Ok google... call 867-5309
On my S4 running 4.4 in settings / my device / accessibility / "answering-ending calls" is an option for "voice control (answers calls with voice commands)". That might do what you want if you have similar options buried somewhere in your device settings. It might be a Samsung thing, though.

When driving my car and I have an incoming call, I would like the phone to answer the call automatically. I would be wearing either BT or wired earbuds to be able to reply to the caller.
Right now I have to pick up the phone and actually physically answer the call. This can be dangerous when driving the car or riding the bicycle.
Your suggestion of using voice control does not exist on my phone.

Upvote 0
I searched and found this app that load like it'll do what you want (I've never tried it)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aniarlabs.vcasr

Thank you for your suggestion.
I have tried this app, but it doesn't work as announced.
The user is supposed to yell YEAH or YUP or YES to accept the call, but this never worked. Strange enough, when yelling NO, the call is rejected.
When the caller's number is hidden, this app doesn't work at all.

I have tried with Wi-Fi Internet, cellular Internet and no Internet, also changed the app's settings to try different combinations.
I must have tried about 40 times, but this app never ever picked up the call.

Conclusion, I'm back to square one...

Thank you again for replying.

Upvote 0
Does it let you "train" it your voice? If not, try using the accent of the apps country of origin lol :D

According to their instructions, the app triggers on the Y in YES, YEAH, YUP.
I think that all of these apps (certainly a dozen) I have tried do not work correctly, because my phone is running on Android 5 Lollipop.

My phone is definitely a budget smartphone, but why they left out the automatic call answering feature beats me.

Upvote 0
When driving my car and I have an incoming call, I would like the phone to answer the call automatically. I would be wearing either BT or wired earbuds to be able to reply to the caller..

I used to take this feature for granted on Nokia "feature" phones. You could set it to "auto-answer on BT". However the BT kit I have at the moment does one-touch answer without picking the phone up. My headset (a Plantronics one, several years old) can answer/hang-up a call just by pushing a button on the ear piece. OK if it's actually in your ear at the time .... :) My car stereo is also BT and when connected, again, I can answer/hang-up by hitting one button. Not as convenient as auto-answer but not far off.

Doesn't help with the 'hands-free' dialling but 'OK Google' should take care of that even using BT.

Dave

Upvote 0
.... Unless you use a car charger and have the 'stay awake" option in "Settings", "Developer Options".
While plugged in, the screen dims but never sleeps and still responds to the "ok google" command so you can use to tell it to call someone

Thinking outside the box on this one lol.
I tried to attach a screenshot of the setting but the site is being a little shit lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
.... Unless you use a car charger and have the 'stay awake" option in "Settings", "Developer Options".
While plugged in, the screen dims but never sleeps and still responds to the "ok google" command so you can use to tell it to call someone ... l

Oh yes, that too. Though I have this set so my music player is always visible .... :)

Dave

Upvote 0
Funky, you seem like you know your stuff. Or at least try and help others out. Good to see:D
I try mate. I like a problem to solve, love Android and get a buzz from helping strangers.
Share the love I say :)

@Phases I just can't get a pic to 'process" to attach to this thread fyi.
Anyone else?
(AF app)

Upvote 0
@Phases I just can't get a pic to 'process" to attach to this thread fyi.
Anyone else?
(AF app)

Let me try this...

where is my phone.jpg

Upvote 0
While plugged in, the screen dims but never sleeps and still responds to the "ok google" command so you can use to tell it to call someone
You can also very the same behavior (ok Google response with screen off while on charger) by adjusting Google settings to include "ok Google on any screen". That had the advantage of making kGoogle more accessible (whenever screen on) but disadvantage of costing higher battery use (when ever screen on)

Upvote 0
You can also very the same behavior (ok Google response with screen off while on charger) by adjusting Google settings to include "ok Google on any screen". That had the advantage of making kGoogle more accessible (whenever screen on) but disadvantage of costing higher battery use (when ever screen on)
Oh yeah, I read that the other day and totally forgot lol. Sorry OP

Pete, does "ok google" on any screen really use a lot of battery when screen on?
I love that feature, use it all the time :(

Last edited:
Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones