Automatic punctuation?Support

1. gonk24

gonk24 Active Member

I moved to Android from webOS about 3 weeks ago and I'm loving it so far. One thing that is driving me nuts though is that there's no auromatic punctuation. When I type its, there should be an apostrophe inserted to read it's. If little 'ol webOS does it why doesn't Android? Yeah, I know I can long press to get it but that's annoying. So far I've tried the stock keyboard, Swift X, and AI Type Keyboard. Haven't found an option for this yet.

Advertisement
  2. Emblazon

Emblazon Well-Known Member

It works on SwiftKey X every time for me. There hasn't been a time yet where I've had to manually add punctuations/contractions.
    gonk24 and marctronixx like this.
  3. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw Well-Known Member

Like Emblazoned, I endorse the. SwiftKey X keyboard. It handles most punctuation matters well.
    gonk24 and marctronixx like this.
  4. gonk24

gonk24 Active Member

OMG how the hell did I miss that with SwiftKey X? Thanks for setting me straight guys.
  5. Emblazon

The key is, just type the entire word, without the apostrophe. After a while, the keyboard will begin to remember your tendencies, and you will be typing even less letters.

For example, if you want to type "we'll", just type in "well", and "we'll" will appear as one of the auto suggestions. After a while, whenever you start typing "we", "we'll" will begin to appear in the auto suggest.
    marctronixx likes this.
  6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

SwiftKey X has options for fast or precise typing - precise gets the predictions that make this keyboard worthwhile.

Another that is surprisingly good at auto-complete (doesn't predict tho) with punctuation and features a friendly, worthwhile layout is Hacker's Keyboard, free in the Market.
    marctronixx likes this.
  7. gonk24

gonk24 Active Member

I see now that precise doesn't give the apostrophe that fast does. I had it set on precise previously
  8. Emblazon

I have mine set to Precise, and the apostrophe appears in auto suggest for every last contraction I can come up with.
    marctronixx likes this.
  9. EarlyMon

Well, I guess the moral of the story is that SwiftKey X learns from your typing, play the options to get what works for you.
    marctronixx likes this.
  10. Just out of curiosity, why should there be an apostrophe in "its"? "Its" means "belonging to it" and "it's" is the contraction of "it" and "is/has". It isn't as though a keyboard is incorrect by not putting the apostrophe in place.
  11. EarlyMon

When I type that string, I get both choices - that seems correct to me.
  12. gonk24

gonk24 Active Member

Depends on how you're using it. It's either correct or not correct depending on that usage. It was just an example I threw out. The apostrophe was also missing when typing words such as "she's". I assume it wasn't happening due to not using the keyboard for long, thus it not learning. Not a problem now.
  13. gonk24

gonk24 Active Member

I'm still getting used to having choices pop up. I'm coming from webOS that automatically just fixes it.