• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Automatic syncing when connecting to wifi

Master D

Lurker
Nov 28, 2010
G'day everyone.

I just acquired my first proper smart phone, the HTC desire, and am quite pleased so far.

I am looking for an application, widget or setting that automatically updates my gmail, weather, news and whatnot when I connect to a wifi hotspot.

If this can't be done automatically I guess a simple button on my home-screen would do.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
D

Yes, that would obviously do the job...manually.

But is there a way to have this process automated? Let's say I have my wake-up alarm set to 9 am, can't I time my phone to connect to wifi and do a sync at 8.55 for example?

You can do that automatically of course. You can use one of many profiling apps available i nthe MArket like Setting Profiles, Tasker, Locale.

You wil ned to set up a rule to automatically turn WiFi on at specific times. Then set up aonther rule that will turn aut-sync on when WiFi is connected (you can also set it up in the same rule as WiFi and it will work based on time too).

Upvote 0
I was thinking about Tasker for this, but I wasn't sure that enabling auto-sync would actually force a sync at the time it is enabled. I don't know of a way to specifically initiate a sync from Tasker.

But if you're using Tasker, you can have auto-sync automatically enabled when connected to Wifi, and when disconnected you can have it automatically disable auto-sync.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones