Automatic translation of applications ?

Last Updated:

1. obones

obones Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I have downloaded a few applications via the Market and the least I can say is that their French is not the native language of the developers. Most of it even looks like automatic google translate.
    Would it be possible to keep the phone in French and have some applications into English? This would make their usage much easier.

Thanks for your help

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Lol, if you want to help the developers why not contact then and offer to translate?

If they develop using standard android techniques it will simply be a case of them giving you a file in english to translate to french.

This is what android is all about :p

3. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :D

obones, the thing with application languages is that they're coded into the application. So you can have your OS language setting set to french or zulu, but still have apps appear in swedish or greek -- unless the developers of the apps took care to make them multi-lingual, which many do (although obviously with varying quality).

I'm sure that the developer of the app you're talking about considered "no support" and "machine-translated" support for your language, and thought that "some" support is better than "none". Then, when the app is out there, someone will come by and say "this is horrible! even I could do better!" and thereby improve the product.

If you want, I'm sure the developer would love to have your help localising the app. :)

4. obones

obones Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

Yes, I understand I could give a hand and I would most likely do, but in the meantime, the application is barely usable because of that crappy translation.
    Hence the reason why I'd like to get rid of it and go back to the default English.

And right now, I cannot find an option to tell the application to ignore my phone settings with respect to language.

5. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I think you'd have to change the language setting for the entire OS. :eek:

6. kennymevrick

kennymevrick New Member

This is really socking that Automatic translation of application and it even looks like automatic google translate. If they develop using standard android techniques it will simply be a case of them giving you a file in English to translate to French.