1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Automatically change wallpaper?

1. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

Advertisement
    :
  2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

I think there is in Windows 7... I seem to recall at one point I set a "landscape" wallpaper set on my grandma's computer and it would cycle through them every X minutes.. You might be able to adjust that time to one that you want... but I'm not sure about that (XP user).
  3. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person - Guide

4. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

Well, I might be dual booting Linux and Win 7 soon....
  5. pbf98

pbf98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Well there would be a way if you knew some programming. You could design a program that would run every day at a certain time that would pull the image from that site, and save it in a specific folder and delete the previous image at the same time. Then in the personalization for windows you can set your theme to take pictures from that specific folder, and since it would delete the image every time it saves one, it would always have the latest one.

It wouldn't be to difficult of a program to write but it would take some basic knowledge of the language.

Thats the only way I can see to "automate" that process 100% on windows
    Mehta23 likes this.
  6. MoodyBlues

I could do that 25 years ago on UNIX, just using its built-in tools! :p
    9to5cynic and Mehta23 like this.
  7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

You get it to change up to every 1 day in Win 7. Thats the longest gap there is. Also, the wallpapers are not cloud based. You can put them on a network share or whatever. That works. But you still have to put them there and do a select all.
  8. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

Would the easiest way just be to download something (think it might be an option on one of my rain Meter skins) to have my wallpaper the same as on the Bing wallpaper for that day?
  9. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Ahh.. I overlooked the pulling from cloud step :p

I'm not a batch expert by any means (in fact, I'm not any kind of expert), but I do think you could write up a batch file that would:
    Code:
    var number = Date(today) % 4;
    if (number === 0) {
    wget wallpaper 1
    set wallpaper
    }
    if (number === 1) {
    wget wallpaper 2
    set wallpaper 
    }
    etc....

??
  10. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

I can get the Bing Desktop.... Looks like that's my only windows choice apart from not being lazy :p

In about 1-2 weeks I'll be ready for a bit of Linux. :-D
  11. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

Is there a way to just download a wallpaper every so often from that website?
  12. MoodyBlues

Can you outline the steps you take when you go to that site and download a wallpaper? That would help in figuring out how to do it, although that help probably won't come from me, since you don't have the built-in tools us Linux users do. But perhaps someone who uses windows will be able to help.
  13. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

Go on site.
    Download first picture
    Open picture
    Set as background
  14. MoodyBlues

That's not enough info. When you go to the site, what's your next step? I'd never been there before, but when I went there was a picture on the front page; I clicked on it and went to a page with a bunch of options, including size choices, logging in, signing up, bulk downloads, etc. PRECISELY, what do you do?
  15. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

Oh, I didn't realise that I missed that bit out.

After clicking on the image, I then click "download".

Yeah, I see why this is practically impossible to do automatically now.