1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Automatically turn on wireless when you access the internet?

Last Updated:

1. StuartTheFish

StuartTheFish Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there an app that can make it so my wireless is turned off UNTIL a certain app is used? Like when I open dolphin or tapatalk for example. Then once I close it it automatically shuts down the WiFi again.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Advertisement
  2. Gren

Gren Active Member

I think Locale may be able to do this. It can definitely switch on and off wi-fi and I think app use can be set as a condition. Plug ins may be needed.

Android phone : Tapatalk enabled

3. StuartTheFish

Thanks, but all that seems to do is turn things on or off depending on your location. So if I'm sat at home all day and don't go online, it'll still be wasting battery linking to my router. I would like something that's triggered by an app opening and closing if possible, not a location.

4. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

5. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Locale can trigger events by more than just location though I am not aware of a plugin that does what you want to do. And as others have said, keeping your wifi connected if you are at home all day will use less power than if you were connected to the cell network.

6. StuartTheFish

My point is, with the exception of it doing it's sync stuff every so often, it shouldn't be using either method permanently as I want it to only connect when I want to browse or whatever. No matter if WiFi uses less power, it would still use less if it's off.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

7. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

You would need an app that turns wifi and 3g off. Not just wifi then.

8. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

As mentioned, this is not true unless you also turn off 3g.

You're best bet is to leave wifi on. Turning it off when a connection is available is not saving you any juice.

9. pfcwintergreen

pfcwintergreen Member

download Juice Defender. its very close to what youve described.it will turn off wifi and/or 3g when your screen is off. You can also set it to reconnect for short periods when your screen is off so that your autosync stuff can refresh........ie it would connect for 5 minutes every hour to check for gmails etc. Very configurable. And it does save alot of battery life doing this with wifi in addition to 3g. You need pay version to control wifi I think though. Worth it though.

10. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

As has been pointed out, your logic makes sense if you are also turning off mobile network.

If not, leave wifi always on (advanced settings never sleep too) when you have wifi available.