automatically turning computer off when i go out.

Last Updated:

1. jakupl

jakupl Member This Topic's Starter

I would love to make my telephone switch my computer off when I go out of the house, when I leave a zone.
    Is there any way of doing that? All it would need to, is send an e-mail or something.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. pk1209

pk1209 Well-Known Member

you could use a vnc app or unified remote - not automatic but will be dead easy to switch off your pc from your phone.

I've been using android vnc to control both by pc's for ages - works great. Even today, vnc'd in from work to download the Mafia II demo :)

3. jakupl

Can't use vnc remotely, because I don't have a static ip. And my computer runs linux, so I can't use unified remote.

4. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

You could try it by setting up a dyndns account and configuring it in your router. It effectivley maps a domain name to your routers current IP so you sort of have a static IP. You can then configure the port forwarding so you can use VNC to control your PC.

or you could try teamviewer, is compatible with linux and you should be able to access your pc through the browser on the desire

5. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

You could use it to press the "off" button as you leave.

6. humma78

humma78 Active Member

:D Made me chuckle.

7. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Seems like pressing the off button is the simplest solution. I don't know of any way that you PC would turn itself off automatically when your phone moves away from it, and setting up some kind of remote PC access from the phone would appear to make things more complicated..

8. benchmark

benchmark Well-Known Member

Supported . Simple solution to a complex problem.

Alternatively use the 'Power saving options' in the PC control panel to shut of if not used for xx number of hours or mins.

Not only will you be saving on your electricity bill, but also on the lifespan of the electronic components in your PC . Shut it down even when you are at home and not using it or at least put it on standby.

9. jakupl

nooow that's all so boring.

I know how to do the pc thing. I just want the phone to send an e-mail when it leaves a zone.
    Maybe some "locale" magic.

10. jakupl

Being able to automatically send emails based on location could altso be used for a multitude of functions. Not only shutting off laptops.

11. benchmark

I dont understand what you are asking , can you clarify.

Send an email to whom and what for? how can an email shut of your PC ? you have your phone in your hand and can send emails on your carriers network anytime you want.

There are apps in the app market that use GPS to send an SOS text message as soon as the phone is out of a predesignated area. Is that what you are looking for?

12. jakupl

I already know how to shut down the pc with an e-mail. so i would like it done automatically from the phone.

13. benchmark

14. jakupl

15. manicman666

manicman666 New Member

Hi jakupl

If your using Linux you can shutdown your PC down via an ssh command from your phone (something like "sudo shutdown -h now").

I use an app called ServerAssistant which saves ssh commands as buttons to control my PC. I have it setup to turn my PC on and off with a click of a button (providing I have a WIFI or 3G signal).

Of course if you want this to work outside your home network you will have to take nacatomi's advice and setup a dyndns account on your router and point the ssh command to a URL

16. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

locale would be using gps to be accurate. unless you live in a green house, gps is flaky indoors. you'd find your computer shutting down as soon as it had booted up.

17. jakupl

Why did several posts vanish from this thread? Including my comprehensive guide how to make this work?

18. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

A lot of posts from the other day disappeared. I guess they must have had a problem and restored from a backup.

19. jakupl

If anyone got an email notification containing my guide, could you please post it here, I liked it, and I would like to show it to someone. It altso took me ages to write.
    Thanks in advance.

20. HTCandroid

HTCandroid Well-Known Member

If you can get another copy post it up please, was interesting but when i first saw it i was in a rush so only had a lil skim :( If its just gone, thanks for doing it in the first place! lol

21. sjoerd

sjoerd New Member

If you have bluetooth on your (Linux) PC, you might be able to use BlueProximity.