• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Aux output volume

Hey guys. Massive love for the note 2. Incredible screen, amazing battery life, so quick and android is a beautiful and great OS. being a Web Developer I can completely manage Web servers via my phone!!! That's crazy.

Anyway the one problem I would love to fix is the low sound output. When I'm playing Spotify through the 3.5mm in my car, it's quite low, and I have to turn my car stereo up high - this causes distortion and makes the sound quality terrible. I've also noticed through headphones, although there is no distortion, sound output is not quiet but it's not too loud.. Anyone know of a fix for this?

To try and self help, I have turned my device up to full volume and made the stream quality 320k on the Spotify stream (thank god for unlimited data)

Thanks for the help :)

Hey guys. Massive love for the note 2. Incredible screen, amazing battery life, so quick and android is a beautiful and great OS. being a Web Developer I can completely manage Web servers via my phone!!! That's crazy.

Anyway the one problem I would love to fix is the low sound output. When I'm playing Spotify through the 3.5mm in my car, it's quite low, and I have to turn my car stereo up high - this causes distortion and makes the sound quality terrible. I've also noticed through headphones, although there is no distortion, sound output is not quiet but it's not too loud.. Anyone know of a fix for this?

To try and self help, I have turned my device up to full volume and made the stream quality 320k on the Spotify stream (thank god for unlimited data)

Thanks for the help :)

Had you checked if the system volume is separate from the media volume? You'e done everything that I normally would, as far as troubleshooting is concerned.

Upvote 0
Hi
Might be worth having a look for volume booster apps on the play store,i have tried some of these to boost ringtone volumes but they didnt work with jellybean, but i have seen that they do work for music, just not sure if it will be the same using the jack plug though.

Might be worth having a play around with them.

Pete ;)
Thanks I'll give it a go :)

Upvote 0
If you really are having volume issues with your phone then there is something wrong somewhere or you are going deaf. Have you tried a different cable in your car? It may be faulty. How do headphones sound? Are they also quite low even at maximum volume? If so, then you have a faulty model. The volume you should have from your phone is more than optimal and not due to any limitations.

I don't have direct experience with Samsung, but my housemate got a GS3 recently and it works exactly as you would expect while using Aux. I would imagine the Note 2 is no different.

Upvote 0
If you really are having volume issues with your phone then there is something wrong somewhere or you are going deaf. Have you tried a different cable in your car? It may be faulty. How do headphones sound? Are they also quite low even at maximum volume? If so, then you have a faulty model. The volume you should have from your phone is more than optimal and not due to any limitations.

I don't have direct experience with Samsung, but my housemate got a GS3 recently and it works exactly as you would expect while using Aux. I would imagine the Note 2 is no different.

That is a good point. I just recently replaced an adaptor i was using and it's way better sounding. That's the only other thing I can think of, since the OP has already exhausted all the troubleshooting steps I would've taken.

Upvote 0

Not entirely correct. They do restrict the headphone volume outputs in the EU (and elsewhere) to protect hearing. Depending on your listening scenarios the volume output may be very much less than optimal. The output is fine for listening with IEMs, but many higher quality full-sized headphones have much higher impedances and require more volume output from the playback device to be driven to satisfying levels (ie they are quieter or even much quieter than IEMs at the same phone volume level).

Not sure if this applies to the OP, they might just be someone who likes listening to dangerously loud music, lord knows there are more than enough people damaging their hearing with their listening habits.

Anyways, best solution for the OP will be to wait until something like Siyah kernel comes along that allows for higher volume outputs. Or a headphone amp, if they want to go that route.

Upvote 0
I know it's 6 months later but I just read through all the aux volume threads with no luck and thought I'd reply with what just worked for me.

I noticed from time to time when using s voice it would give me a message like "mic is in use by another app". This made me think some other app is also controlling the volume and overriding system settings. I have three apps that I suspected: talkatone, grooveip and tasker(only tasker action i have is to play a sound when my battery is 100%). I quit all three apps and my aux volume is so much louder. Opened all three apps back up an volume is still fine. Will have to wait until it occurs again to narrow down which of the three caused the issue, but for now i can finally hear using headphones again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones