[Avail] Apps that are safe to remove! (DO NOT REMOVE EMAIL.APK)

1. anthony062991

anthony062991 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

Edit: DO NOT DELETE EMAIL.APK OR EMAIL.ODEX! IT WILL MESS UP CAMERA/VIDEO!

Here is a list of app you can remove from the system safely:

I am not responsible if anything goes wrong with your phone. If you do not know what you are doing simply DO NOT DO IT! IF YOU DELETE OTHER APPS YOU MAY GET A BRICKED PHONE!
    YOU BEEN WARNED!

All of these apps are located in the system/app folder.
    You can use Es File Manager to remove these apps.

AT&T Bloatware:

Data Check.apk
    Data Check.odex
    (WILL GIVE YOU AN ENLESS OF FORCE CLOSES UNTIL A REBOOT)

AndroidSocialNet_1.1.14_production_unsigned_aligned.apk

ATT_code_scanner_aligned.apk

ATT_Navigator_ZTE_Roamer_1538.apk

com.mobitv.client.tv.apk

signed_mobile_care.apk

musicshop.apk
    musicshop.odex

Other Junk/demos you can delete as well:

DocumentsToGoViewers_PDF_Eval.apk

GenieWidget.apk
    (news and weather widget)

NFSShift.apk

UNO_DEMO_ZTE_Z991_EN_NONIGP_AT&T_315.apk

YPMAndroid-3.0.3-307.apk

Other stock apps you may also delete:

alarming.apk
    alarming.odex

Filer.apk
    Filer.odex

Launcher 2.apk
    Launcher 2.odex
    (ONLY IF YOU DOWNLOADED A DIFFERENT LAUNCHER JUST COPY IT FROM THE DATA/APP DIRECTORY TO SYSTEM/APP BEFORE DELETING)

LiveWallpapers.apk
    LiveWallpapers.odex
    (ONLY IF YOU DO NOT USE LIVE WALLPAPERS)

LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
    LiveWallpapersPicker.odex
    (ONLY IF YOU DO NOT USE LIVE WALLPAPERS)

NotePad.apk
    NotePad.odex

Protips.apk
    Protips.odex
    (WIDGET TIPS FOR THE HOMESCREEN)

Stopwatch.apk
    Stopwatch.odex

TaskManager.apk
    TaskManager.odex

GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    (IF YOU DO NOT USE THE GOOGLE SEARCH WIDGET)

These next couple of apps are stored in system/app and data/app so you will need to delete them in both places for them to be fully removed!

Facebook-1.6.1.apk

Twitter-2.1.1.apk

BooksPhone.apk
    (GOOGLE BOOKS)

Here is a link to all of the apps listed just in case you need them back for any reason. Do not copy the whole folder! Just copy each .apk/.odex file(s) you need back into your system/app and or data/app!
    Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
    New dl link will bee up soon!
    multiupload has deleted most of my stuff!

Feel free to donate to further my education!

Advertisement
    Russ71 likes this.
  2. wyldesolos

wyldesolos Active Member

Do you have another DL link. I need the livewallpaper back and i can find the correct .apk anywhere
  3. anthony062991

You can find them in stock rom. Multiupload is having issues. Just extract the rom and go to system/app you will see live wallpaper and live wallpaper picker. You need the whole apk and odex files.
  4. wyldesolos

wyldesolos Active Member

lol didnt even think of that. thank you sir
  5. Lincoln357

Lincoln357 Well-Known Member

I removed stock email app and everything works fine (using Titanium Backup Pro),but this is a brazilian stock rom thou.
  6. Anthonycr11

Anthonycr11 Well-Known Member

Anthony, how much total internal storage does the avail have??;)
  7. anthony062991

It doesn't have much at all. At least with stock rom (out of the box). You can delete a bunch of junk and get about 100mb free. Better than nothing..
  8. Anthonycr11

Anthonycr11 Well-Known Member

Wow that's alot of bloat... 100 MB...
  9. wyldesolos

wyldesolos Active Member

yeah it actually is considering the phone only has a total of like 250MB on the NAND. Then if 100 or more is used up by OS and crapps then you're left with close to nothing. Also a lot of great apps from market will only install to the phone's memory so what little you have left will quickly get eaten up.
  10. dougeeebear

dougeeebear Member

Thanks for the excellent write-up.
    Can you tell me which app to delete that checks for OS updates?
    I don't plan on updating and taking a chance on losing root.

Thanks, Doug
  11. Motorhead1991

Motorhead1991 Well-Known Member

Check out my thread about moving the dalvik cache to the /dev partition. It does require wiping it before a reboot, but it's better than being limited on apps.
  12. dougeeebear

dougeeebear Member

Got all the info I need... thanks anyway.
  13. Chud1

Chud1 Active Member

Where do I get the stock rom for the zte merit which is real similar to the avail? Also how do I open it to get to the .apk files? Sorry newbee question here!

Thanks in advance!

-Chud-
  14. Russ71

Russ71 Well-Known Member

Gotta bump this thread to the front of the list. Alot of people need the info, Anthony.
  15. redfield88

redfield88 Well-Known Member

Haha.. So could've used this when I was removing my bloatware. I found out the hard way the default Camera app depends on the Email app.
  16. Russ71

Russ71 Well-Known Member

You aren't the first to do it. I commented on the thread to move it closer to the start of the list. Its an important piece of info.
  17. droidgeek99

droidgeek99 Member

Hey guys, I need some help here! I didn't get to this thread till after I rooted and de-bloated the phone. I've rooted several phones in the past and I've always removed the email.apk and email .odex without trouble, so naturally I DID remove the email.apk and email.odex on this phone too... and as stated above the camera stopped working. I still have the email.odex file but I lost the email.apk. Does anyone have a copy of the file that they would be willing to send me so I can get the camera back working? Also would copying the email.apk from my LG Optimus work?

Thanks in advance!
  18. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

The one from the LG I doubt will work.

Let me know where you want me to send it.
  19. droidgeek99

droidgeek99 Member

I'll pm you my email address.
    Thanks!
  20. droidgeek99

droidgeek99 Member

Update:
    I put the email.apk that kingmt sent me and email.odex back into /system/app where they came from. When I open the camera it still force closes, and also I tried to open the email app from the app tray and it force closes as well. So far no other problems. Does anyone have any other ideas?
  21. cwwilson721

cwwilson721 Well-Known Member

Install ICS Camera from the Play Store. (Worked for me)
  22. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

Found the problem. The apk I sent you was broken. I had just switched to someone else's ROM I didn't realise my camera & email didn't work ether. If your other project doesn't fix it I'll get a good one from one of my nandroids.
  23. droidgeek99

droidgeek99 Member

I was unable to unlock the phone as I said I would in my email because the Merit won't go into FTM (Factory Test Mode), however I found a Stock ROM for the Merit and also a Deodexed Stock in the form of CWM backups, I simply flashed CWM recovery, backed up everything, and then installed the Deodexed Stock from the backup. Everything is working now, and I'll remember to never remove the Email on stock Merits

Thanks guys for your help.

[Edit]

Just in case anyone else is in the same position I was here's the link to the threads with the stock ROM.

http://androidforums.com/avail-all-things-root/492604-rom-stock.html

http://androidforums.com/merit-all-things-root/636906-rom-deodexed-stock-merit.html

http://androidforums.com/merit-all-...ery-ext3-straight-talk-net10-merit-z990g.html

ClockWorkMod recovery is necessary to flash either of these ROMs. Any CWM recovery made for the Merit will do, but I used this one. I'm very grateful to stayboogy for developing an upright CWM recovery. The old upside down recovery was driving me crazy.
  24. cwwilson721

cwwilson721 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, those links are no longer valid.

However, you CAN get a 100% working (usbmount, ADB on, and ext4 support) CWM5 at
    [ROM][KERNEL][RECOVERY] Full ext4 and swap enabled package for Z990 - Android Area51

I finally figured out how to get usbmount to work, etc.

Come and get it!
  25. out of ideas

out of ideas Well-Known Member

Only the link for cwm is invalid.