• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Avail] How To Root/UnRoot (Full Guide) (Update 3/5)

I have the AT&T Avail Build Number Z990V1.0.0B19.

Dialing the number does nothing. Seems this build doesn't want to be rooted. What do I do? Do I need to go back to a previous firmware for this to work? Is so please tell me how to do that, I have no idea. There have been references here to t-carding but I see no links to where there is info on how to do it (if that's what I need to do).

Please help a rookie root this sucker!

Upvote 0
First, a stupid question: What is a T card? (Finally determined it's the external storage card. However, how does that fit with removing the SIM card and seeing if the image folder copied to the T card is "conformity," as in step C of the T card upgrade instructions? The instructions have not yet said to copy anything anywhere!)

Also, so far nothing here has worked for me to root my Avail. However, I don't think I understand some of the instructions and what to do if they don't work in a particular case. For one, adb devices does not list my device. Taking someone else's advice who had the same problem resulted only in greater confusion when I uninstalled the ZTE handset program and then supposedly (and apparently automatically) installed the Android SDK drivers which could not be found, but that was after seemingly automatically having them installed after I removed the ZTE handset program, although I never received the usual final message that the drivers had installed.

As for the instructions at the Avail web site, the broken English in which they are written leaves me greatly uncertain about what to do. For example, "...take out the handset SIM card, and check whether the size and name of image folder that copied to T card is conformity." In fact that entire section C makes little sense to me. Another example, "...it's better to use one piece of empty T card before upgrade, and copy the upgrading package to image upgrading file. If T card has had material already, please back-up the file under Download directory to computer to avoid data missing." Copied to conformity (and where?) and one piece of empty T card? I've no idea what the instructions written by a Chinese person in "English" actually mean at times.

It must be me b/c others seem to comprehend everything here and at the Avail site, and are able to achieve the desired outcome. But for me, it's close to gibberish. "...one piece of empty T card...?" "...name of image folder that copied to T card is conformity...?" (BTW, up to this point the instructions say nothing about copying anything. So what is being copied to the T card and is supposedly conformity, whatever that means?)

I'd really appreciate some help and even hand-holding. It's either root this Avail or toss it and spend $200 more for a phone with adequate memory. I like the Avail but hate what AT&T did to ruin it. TIA.

Upvote 0
I know they're hard to understand, so I'll write them in english (mostly from memory):
-Download the T-card upgrade and extract the contents

-place the contents in a folder names "image" on the root directory of your SD card

-Go into settings and select the option that updates from the SD card (the name escapes me)

-Let it load the update to your device (note: this WILL wipe your data, back it up if you can)

-Once your device reboots, download Superuser from the market. Enter dialer and type *983*7668# to mount as R/W.

- Open Superuser and update the binary. You should have root afterwards.

Reactions: ZenWarrior
Upvote 0
I finally got it, sort of. I did the T-card upgrade (still can't figure out why it's called a t-card instead of just saying the phone external memory card). I also had a difficult time understanding the instructions in English written by some Chinese dude who apparently can't speak English at all. That dude made it way harder than it needed to be.

The so called "T-Card Update" process turned out to be nothing more than copying the downloaded image folder that contained the image file in it to the external memory card, then going to settings/about phone/system updates and choosing "storage card updates" (which on my phone was the only option) and then just sit back and let it do it's thing changing the firmware. Those English-Chinese instructions took a whole page to say that in a lot of gibberish.

Anyway once it booted up after the firmware update, my build changed from the latest build that wouldn't root (Z990V1.0.0B19) to Z990V1.0.0B14 (which will root).

Did the dial number deal, got the first message about rooting takes awhile and then got no other notification at all leaving it sit there for about 15 minutes.

I then installed Superuser. Superuser installed but won't do the su binary update (it errors out).

I then installed Titanium Backup and it works fine saying I have root access and lets me delete anything.

Root checker also says I have root access. So I don't know what the deal is with superuser erroring out trying to do the binary update but Titanium Backup working.

I don't know if I have partial root access (if there is such a thing) or what. Maybe someone can clear that up for me and tell me if I need to do anything.

Upvote 0
Hm. I don't know what Superuser actually does. All the app and log section is blank.

When a program needs root access it needs permission, and asks you for it. The super user app manages those requests and saves them so that the next, time you run the app, super user grants the app permission.

It also allows you to manage the list, and revoke permissions you previously allowed. You can also view a log of what programs have requested access.

For the most part, it sits quietly in the background.

Reactions: Russ71
Upvote 0
It might be an exercise in frustration as I am the ultimate QA - I can goof anything up, I love to complain about other people's work, and I can simulate the biggest idiot to use an IT system so well that you can hardly tell the difference between me and a real idiot.

But I followed the instructions above to a T, no error messages, but when I try to update w SuperUser, it says it's the legacy version installed but can't get root, always says failed, even with good connection.

I hate to lose the time I've spent installing and customizing already, but do I need to take this back to factory? I updated it when I first got it which is why it doesn't work.

It's funny, both Google and Apple show the entire IT world how it's better financially to be inclusive of the user community, and then the accountants at the carriers just don't get it. Shake 'em down as much as you can, that's their business model. ;-)

Upvote 0
Is it possible I'm not downloading the su file into the right place? I created a custom adb directory [android-sdk-windows] directly off C. Do I need to put the su file in a sub-directory named adb I don't know about? Or when you say adb directory, do you mean the root directory I created? I don't get an error during the file transfer tho.

Upvote 0
Well I've used Titanium Backup and Root Explorer and Superuser hasn't logged anything.

When you go into Super user app, go to app preferences and set up notifications. Then, back out of preferences, fling all the way to the right. Tap update binary. Tap update at bottom. Super user should request access- approve it. When it says "That was cool, do it again.", you can if you want. The Super user app isn't really explained anywhere. I saw this thread, and thought it needed clarification. Hope it helps.
Oh, and as far as the ZTE site, better to forget it and look in the ZTE AVAIL ALL ABOUT ROOT section. Its in English and more detailed. :)

Upvote 0
@TraceP38 Is this your first time rooting the phone? Have you done any over the air updates from att? I would do the T-card flash, then do the root. I had problems before I rooted, due to ATT updates on the phone. Dont hit send after the *983* code. Just watch the bottom of the screen. A message will pop up about 3 sec. after you put the code in. You can do updates after root if you want to. I never have.

I would dial *983*7668# and not press call and nothing would happen. When I would press send, I would get the error message: "Connection Problem or Invalid MMI Code. I can't continue. Please help.:thinking::(

Upvote 0
I would dial *983*7668# and not press call and nothing would happen. When I would press send, I would get the error message: "Connection Problem or Invalid MMI Code. I can't continue. Please help.:thinking::(

Did you let the phone get an update from AT&T?

if so, I think you'll need to follow the T-card flash (update.zip on root of SD card) procedure, then do the root process again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones