• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Avail] [ROM] Ice Cream Scamwich 2.0! 3/17

New around here so alitte dense just did a fresh install of 1.5 getting the fc issues. Dl'd the update zip but now what? Never updated a theme before! Thx in advance.

install it from zip in CWM just like you did the rom.

The fc was from a drawable 9.png that was coming up as .png so it went wacky.

Reactions: AbnTrooper
Upvote 0
Screen is staying dark during a call like a sensor is screwed up any idea on how to fix?

ZTE corp. put out an app to calibrate then screen. Seems to be an issue they have.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.zte.ProximeitySensorClib&hl=en

If that doesn't work, you could try editing build.prop. If you dont know what you're doing, don't do that though

but if you did, go to near the bottom and find the two lines with .proximity.delay and change "25" to "1". I put that in cuz I always had the black screen in call on stock and it was annoying me.

and updating?????????
will no longer be more upgrade

First rule of roms.....don't ask for ETAs. Lol.

I keep finding other things I want to add and they tend to be some tough ones. So it takes a little time. I might just call it 2.0 this weekend or something though. And kind of finish up stuff for a later version.

Upvote 0
Figured it out it was my case blocking the sensor. Used the zte dev code and recalibrated the dumb thing. Very nice ROM btw can't wait to see what you do next!

I always had problems with the cases for this phone. Either they block that thing, or hit volume or power buttons randomly. I used to have an ok one with a stand, which was cool for music and stuff, but that broke.

Can you please give us the livewallpaperpicker apk and instructions on how to install it back. Or at least put it back in the next version of the rom. Really need to use multipicture livewallpaper. Thanks for a wonderful rom.

yeah im gonna get a zip of some of the stock apps up. then you can just download, unzip, pick which ones you want and throw em on your card and install that way.

glad you guys dig it.

Upvote 0
yeah that was the "theme update" link at the top of the post.

i'm adding the stock apps zip to the first post, and zipping up 2.0 right now. So should be up in a little bit.

StockappsMERIT.zip

You have to download that, unzip it, put what you want on your sdcard, then either try installing it right from there, or copy and paste to /system/app.
(books installs fine to data, but the wallpapers had to go in /app)

some picks with the live wallpaper. and a random one i was using with resized clock widget.

Attachments

• livegrass.png
    livegrass.png
    451.5 KB · Views: 80
  • liveleaves.png
    liveleaves.png
    451.5 KB · Views: 80
  • resizewidget.png
    resizewidget.png
    451.5 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0
I don't like task manager and I know it makes no good to the memory, like some people thinks, but sometimes some apps freeze or missbehave and without the task manager I have to reboot the whole cellphone. With task manager I would just kill the app and let it run again.
Could you put the stock task manager deodexed in the "StockappsMERIT.zip" just to some people like me use sometimes? I have downloaded your file and noticed that it isn't there.
And thanks again for your ROM, I still have the feeling that my avail unleashed all its potencial with your ROM, and, as many others from this forum, I can't wait to put my hands in your full 2.0 ROM.

Upvote 0
I've been lurking in this forum the last couple of days and decided to register today and ask a couple of questions about this. First, I've never owned a smartphone but I decided to get an Avail from AT&T for about $58. Seemed to be alright. I've never touched anything Android but after playing with someone else's iPhone and realizing the limitations of apps, I figured Android was for me.

Anyway, am I right in thinking that this will install (update) Android on the Avail to 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich? The v1.5 is what confused me, is that meaning it's the 1.5 version of 'out of ideas' compiling of Android 4.0 for the Avail?

What all is needed for this? Do I just have to install ClockWorkMod and then load this ROM? If I install apps and use the phone when it arrives (assuming Android 2.3.x) will they be wiped off if I install this ROM? Related to that, does the same answer apply to going from v1.5 to the yet to be released v2.0?

As a beginner Android user, should I even bother with this? Is it stable enough to use everyday?

Sorry for what are probably simple questions :) Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I don't like task manager and I know it makes no good to the memory, like some people thinks, but sometimes some apps freeze or missbehave and without the task manager I have to reboot the whole cellphone. With task manager I would just kill the app and let it run again.
Could you put the stock task manager deodexed in the "StockappsMERIT.zip" just to some people like me use sometimes? I have downloaded your file and noticed that it isn't there.
And thanks again for your ROM, I still have the feeling that my avail unleashed all its potencial with your ROM, and, as many others from this forum, I can't wait to put my hands in your full 2.0 ROM.

Yeah i never used the TM so i didnt include it, but here ya go TaskManager.apk . Dont know if needs to be on /system or not.

2.0 is running pretty sweet. Lidroid toggles just make everything so much quicker. hope i live up to expectations :D

Reactions: Luchi
Upvote 0
omg i cant wait this is the best rom ever i love it. hope you get 2.0 done soon. btw ive been having problems with it killing my battery really really fast and ive re downloaded the zip and flashed it again every now and then to see if it was just a bad download but nothing seems to help so idk if its my rom or just the phone. any ideas?

Upvote 0
Anyway, am I right in thinking that this will install (update) Android on the Avail to 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich? The v1.5 is what confused me, is that meaning it's the 1.5 version of 'out of ideas' compiling of Android 4.0 for the Avail?

Not exactly. This is still the Gingerbread you would be running, but it has been heavily worked in functionality and appearance. I added a lot of the features that i think make ICS better (panorama camera, removing notifications, toggles to do everything, . The version numbering is to keep track of changes and such.

What all is needed for this? Do I just have to install ClockWorkMod and then load this ROM? If I install apps and use the phone when it arrives (assuming Android 2.3.x) will they be wiped off if I install this ROM? Related to that, does the same answer apply to going from v1.5 to the yet to be released v2.0?

yeah it will install as a zip right from your recovery, or ClockworkMod or similar.

These DO NOT wipe your data. It will get rid of the stuff that came with the phone though. You can also update between versions with out it wiping stuff.

I just recommend the data wipe so it installs perfectly smoothly. But it will work fine without a wipe, I did it a couple times this week. Apps still worked, Just stuff like the wallpaper might be different till you wipe.

As a beginner Android user, should I even bother with this? Is it stable enough to use everyday?
Sorry for what are probably simple questions :) Thanks in advance.

Its at least as stable as what it comes with, i found the stock a little buggier honestly. There's no issues with anything, apps don't just shut off and break and such.

If you want to just check out GB, then stocks fine. This ROM is a forward progression of sorts, and more of the direction things are going, but its up to you.

That's the best part about android, the choice is always yours.
NP with the questions, gives me something to do when i get on here :D

omg i cant wait this is the best rom ever i love it. hope you get 2.0 done soon. btw ive been having problems with it killing my battery really really fast and ive re downloaded the zip and flashed it again every now and then to see if it was just a bad download but nothing seems to help so idk if its my rom or just the phone. any ideas?

Thanks.

When you flash roms onto these phones, the wifi and sync and things are turned on. turn them off if your not using them, cuz they can drain the battery quick and you wont even notice they are on.
I usually get about 16-18 hours with the music player running the whole time, some calls/txts and about an hour of internet. Has been a little less the past few days, I dunno if its this new play store/settings getting worked on.

Upvote 0
out of ideas... you are awesome. I was a total noob 2 days ago, never used Android. I searched more and after learning and reading your answers to my questions, I realized how stupid my questions were :)

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday customizing my phone and playing with apps. Learned a fair bit that way. I was tempted to flash your ROM but concerned that it might wipe my stuff. Well, I just did it and I gotta say, after flashing, I was so impressed with the features and updates that I decided to do a clean install and start fresh. Your ROM really takes this phone to another level.

Before flashing, I did notice things crashing a fair bit and my phone did restart 3 times on me that I remember. I will report back about the stability of your ROM.

You know you've done good when you've thoroughly impressed someone that ultimately knows very little about the work you did :) Thank you!

*EDIT*
So far it's running great. Google Play Store crashed a couple times in the beginning while downloading and installing like crazy. Nothing else has crashed. Everything seems snappier and I have more space available due to the lack of AT&T bloatware. The one issue I do have that seems odd is that root doesn't seem to be active. I don't imagine I'll use it but ROM Toolbox Lite reported not rooted. After installing Scamwich CWM said that root might be disabled or something and asked if I wanted to re-enable it? I said no because the last time I flashed a ROM it stayed rooted. Maybe I should have said yes?

Anyway, I'm not complaining at all. Fantastic features and GUI improvements, all of which will help eventually when I get a better phone that comes with ICS or something newer. Many thanks again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones