• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Avant ROM Development - What Next?

rck01

Dec 20, 2014
Now that our most prolific ROM developer, dfuse, has abandoned the Avant (and taken down all of his compiled images), the question is: What Next? Who will step up to fill dfuse's shoes?

Frankly, I've got a sinking feeling that the Avant custom ROM "salad days" are over. As the device ages, and as all the best devs turn their attention elsewhere, the Avant is looking like another dead end phone languishing for lack of a decent homebrew community.

A couple of weeks ago, if someone asked me whether or not they should get the Avant, I would have told them "yes" based on the availability of some decent custom ROM options that would help extend its life and usefulness.

But with dfuse not only leaving but taking down all of his previous ROM images, and with none of the other efforts to date yielding truly usable builds, I'd have to advise against anyone getting one.

The Avant has now officially crossed into zombie phone territory, IMHO. :(

Note: Post updated to clarify that dfuse has left his source for AOKP on github should someone decide to continue where he left off.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say he abandoned it, kinda harsh word. More so moved on. I don't blame him either. I know a lot of people don't got a lot of money to spend. But next phone I am spending big LG4. You won't have this issue with higher end phones, bigger population with phone.

Rck if you got time, join me. Trying to become developmer. God the learning curve is steep though. Using this phone to learn. I got time to kill till school starts.

Pm me if interested, or anyone else. Let's develope for avant!

Upvote 0
Perhaps "abandoned" was a bit harsh. However, I don't understand the need to kill off all the compiled versions of AOKP and CM11. Doing so only diminishes the community by taking away some quite functional examples of what is possible with this phone. I get that he doesn't want the hassle of supporting it anymore, but why not leave the links up and simply publish a disclaimer that the code is no longer being supported?

Note: It's NBD for me because I have copies of everything I need to reinstall his most recent AOKP build. The upside of limited bandwidth allowances is that you become a digital packrat. :)

Upvote 0
dfuse06 did answer in the other thread that he's left his github sources available so anyone who wants can take that and build things for themselves.

You call it a "hassle of supporting" rather than abandoning - reality is that so long as a dev doesn't pull the plug the expectation of support and updates linger. That's not fair to him or the community.

He doesn't have the device any longer, he can't test or fix things, and no one can support infinite storage bandwidth forever.

Sorry the goods are gone, it's unfortunate but it is what it is.

Reactions: viperdink and Blu8
Upvote 0
The web is littered with abandoned ROM images that are no longer supported by their authors. Some are good, some are unstable garbage. But in each case, it has been made clear - by an updated OP or similar disclaimer - that the user who chooses to install said ROMs should not expect any support.

Note that I'm only lamenting the case of dfuse's AOKP ROM since it was nearly complete and functional enough to use as a daily driver. If it was unstable or missing lots of features then I'd say "good riddance." But to lose what is by far the best ROM currently available for Avant really is a bitter pill to swallow. :(

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say he abandoned it, kinda harsh word. More so moved on. I don't blame him either. I know a lot of people don't got a lot of money to spend. But next phone I am spending big LG4. You won't have this issue with higher end phones, bigger population with phone.

Rck if you got time, join me. Trying to become developmer. God the learning curve is steep though. Using this phone to learn. I got time to kill till school starts.

Pm me if interested, or anyone else. Let's develope for avant!
Dude if you need any help I'll point you into the right direction.

Upvote 0
The web is littered with abandoned ROM images that are no longer supported by their authors. Some are good, some are unstable garbage. But in each case, it has been made clear - by an updated OP or similar disclaimer - that the user who chooses to install said ROMs should not expect any support.

Note that I'm only lamenting the case of dfuse's AOKP ROM since it was nearly complete and functional enough to use as a daily driver. If it was unstable or missing lots of features then I'd say "good riddance." But to lose what is by far the best ROM currently available for Avant really is a bitter pill to swallow. :(
Sometimes you have to loose things in life for better things to come

Upvote 0
Thanks Man! Will definitely keep that in mind. Got few people like me already on board to try deveolpe Rom for the Avant. Who know's maybe BlissPop lol. Thanks for all your hard work!
Just to let you know BlissPop is known for kanging stuff and not giving credit for it. He got called out on G+ for it and then apologize publicly. The reason I said what I said in the pm

Upvote 0
got a little further and now i get this error anyone know how to fix?:

build/core/product_config.mk:239: *** _nic.PRODUCTS.[[device/samsung/afyonltetmo/cm.mk]]: "device/samsung/qcom-common/qcom-common.mk" does not exist. Stop.
Device afyonltetmo not found. Attempting to retrieve device repository from CyanogenMod Github (http://github.com/CyanogenMod).
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "build/tools/roomservice.py", line 76, in <module>
result = json.loads(urllib.request.urlopen(githubreq).read().decode())
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 127, in urlopen
return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 410, in open
response = meth(req, response)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 523, in http_response
'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 448, in error
return self._call_chain(*args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 382, in _call_chain
result = func(*args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 531, in http_error_default
raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden
build/core/product_config.mk:239: *** _nic.PRODUCTS.[[device/samsung/afyonltetmo/cm.mk]]: "device/samsung/qcom-common/qcom-common.mk" does not exist. Stop.

** Don't have a product spec for: 'cm_afyonltetmo'
** Do you have the right repo manifest?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones