• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help avatar won't open

Just checked the files on the card and its empty, I will call TMO. this was not a store purchase, it was mailed.

Pull up your video player in apps window. Check to see if Avatar is listed. It should be there when you open up the movie player.

This is what I had to do after taking it off my SD card. Loaded it to my pc, then onto phones hard drive after it wouldn't go back to SD card.
I read a few people for some reason (probably they did it on accident) had Avatar go to their hard drive.

Upvote 0
Possible reason it self deleted is because possibly you connected your phone to your computer via usb, mounted the sd cards, then you didn't do a safe remove. Meaning you might have just yanked the usb out instead of asking your computer nicely to pull out usb safely. This can delete and corrupt files on sd cards.

I've also been reading on various forums, that if you pull the sd card out, or tinker with it, the movie self deletes. Some people are reporting this, however, I did pull my sd card out, put it into a different phone, and put it back into my vibrant, and the movie is still there.

3rd possibility, your sd card is unmounted...go to settings...sd cards and phone storage...and check to see if the sd card is mounted to your phone.

However, just to be safe, i've already backed up the movie onto my desktop.

If you do a factory restore, this should restore the avatar icon possibly, and then you just need to get the avatar movie file and load it back onto your sd card.

should be a simple fix.

Upvote 0
Possible reason it self deleted is because possibly you connected your phone to your computer via usb, mounted the sd cards, then you didn't do a safe remove. Meaning you might have just yanked the usb out instead of asking your computer nicely to pull out usb safely. This can delete and corrupt files on sd cards.

I've also been reading on various forums, that if you pull the sd card out, or tinker with it, the movie self deletes. Some people are reporting this, however, I did pull my sd card out, put it into a different phone, and put it back into my vibrant, and the movie is still there.

3rd possibility, your sd card is unmounted...go to settings...sd cards and phone storage...and check to see if the sd card is mounted to your phone.

However, just to be safe, i've already backed up the movie onto my desktop.

If you do a factory restore, this should restore the avatar icon possibly, and then you just need to get the avatar movie file and load it back onto your sd card.

should be a simple fix.

Thanks for the help, the icon is still there, and it's on my phones memory. It just doesn't play when I push the avatar app. If i go to my gallery, it does show that the movie is on there. It just doesn't play the movie automatically when I push the avatar app icon.

Upvote 0
If I want to put the Avatar movie file onto my 32GB card, would I just drag and drop it from the 2GB card pre-installed in the Vibrant on to my 32GB card?

Basically I think thats how it works. I read somewhere you should create a folder named movie on the sd card, then drag Avatar into that movie folder. I think the reason behind having the folder named movie is to keep the avatar icon working. Not sure for certain.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, the icon is still there, and it's on my phones memory. It just doesn't play when I push the avatar app. If i go to my gallery, it does show that the movie is on there. It just doesn't play the movie automatically when I push the avatar app icon.

possible reason. you might have to create a folder on the sd card named "movie" then put avatar file into this folder, then the icon might work. no clue if that statement is accurate, some people around different forums are saying thats how it should be done. If it isn't placed under "movie" folder, icon doesn't work.

So try this... make a folder named "movie" onto the external sd card..then copy avatar.dcf into that folder. Let me know if this worked.

Upvote 0
renaming WHICH folder? when i go into my SD folder while on my vibrant I see a total of 3 folders, one that is located /sd/DCIM/ with a folder inside located /sd/DCIM/100ANDRO. The other folder is /sd/LOST.DIR/. These are all empty folders...as in no files. Now I added a folder on /sd/ called Movie. So that is /sd/Movie/. I am trying to figure out how to move the icon to this folder...but obviously there is no pick n drop...I couldn't find any way to select and menu the icon....how can i move the icon to the directory/folder? And even so, without the ACTUAL movie file on the SD anymore how on earth is the icon going to play the movie?

Upvote 0
renaming WHICH folder? when i go into my SD folder while on my vibrant I see a total of 3 folders, one that is located /sd/DCIM/ with a folder inside located /sd/DCIM/100ANDRO. The other folder is /sd/LOST.DIR/. These are all empty folders...as in no files. Now I added a folder on /sd/ called Movie. So that is /sd/Movie/. I am trying to figure out how to move the icon to this folder...but obviously there is no pick n drop...I couldn't find any way to select and menu the icon....how can i move the icon to the directory/folder? And even so, without the ACTUAL movie file on the SD anymore how on earth is the icon going to play the movie?

Umm okay I'll just assume you were really tired and didn't fully read everything when you posted this. I never said the movie would play without the ACTUAL movie file on the SD card.

If you don't have the movie file of course it won't play, and I never said it would.

Now, about the folder "movie."
You seem to be making a "movie" folder in the phones built in sd card and not the external one, but i may be mistaken.

Just do this.. plug the usb to your phone. Pull down the notification bar and click on usb to mount the phone to your computer. Your computer will now see your phone, and see two drives or rather two sd cards. the internal and external sd card.

Using your computer choose the smaller 2gig external sd card. If there is no folder named "movie" just create one. Then if you have the avatar.dcf file...copy and paste or drag and drop the avatar.dcf file into this movie folder on your external sd card. The icon should now work.

If you somehow deleted the avatar.dcf file, then yes you are out of luck.

Good day.

Upvote 0
Not true. I pulled the card, copied it to a folder on my desktop, then copied it to my much larger sd card and put it back in. I can still watch it.

Totally agree with you. I took Avatar off the 2GB sd card ... install another movie ... Then when I received my 16GB card ... I just copied everything from the 2GB card into a folder on my desktop ... put the avatar in there as well ... Install the new 16GB sd class 6 and copied all the folders' contents onto the new card ...

Upvote 0
Totally agree with you. I took Avatar off the 2GB sd card ... install another movie ... Then when I received my 16GB card ... I just copied everything from the 2GB card into a folder on my desktop ... put the avatar in there as well ... Install the new 16GB sd class 6 and copied all the folders' contents onto the new card ...

Did the same thing JJJ this is confirmed....

Upvote 0
I transferred Avatar to my phone's memory. I put it in a folder called "Movie", but I can't get the icon to work. I tried opening it through the video player and it shows up, but when I try to play it, it comes up with a message "avatar.dcf locked. Do you want to unlock it now?", then I get "Sorry, license not found". Anyone know why?

Upvote 0
I transferred Avatar to my phone's memory. I put it in a folder called "Movie", but I can't get the icon to work. I tried opening it through the video player and it shows up, but when I try to play it, it comes up with a message "avatar.dcf locked. Do you want to unlock it now?", then I get "Sorry, license not found". Anyone know why?

I think the problem of the icon not working if you move Avatar to phone memory is the same thing that happens on a PC if you movie a file associated with a shortcut: the shortcut looks for the file where it used to be and can't find it. But if you go to the new folder on your PC and double click it, the file opens. It just needs a new shortcut to its new location. Same with Avatar: the icon thinks the movie is on the removable SD card; if you move it to the phone's memory, the icon won't work. But if you move it to a new external card, it's the same path as before and the icon works. Folks with more experience with Android than me will have to explain whether its possible to reprogram the icon or create a new one.

Here's my question for those who moved Avatar to a new SD card: Is anyone having A/V sync issues? Audio is a couple of beats off since I copied the movie to a bigger card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones