Average Android G1 daily/monthly internet usageGeneral

Last Updated:

1. beefsack

beefsack New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

Getting a G1 to use here in Australia (easy choice) but picking a carrier is going to be the most difficult choice of all, so I'm looking for advice.

Can anyone provide some sort of average internet usage stats in your own standard use of the phone, be it daily or monthly or whatever is easiest. Maybe an explanation of how you use your connection too (ie. use email, use maps, browse internet regularly, just leave it on standby, etc).

My problem lies in the choice between two carriers, one of which has a 1gb plan but roaming outside major cities means paying excess for internet usage. The other has a 100mb plan but allows use wherever to be included in the limit. Some info on general internet use will make my decision a lot easier :)

Thanks a lot :)

Advertisement
  2. danielbb

danielbb Well-Known Member

On my old metered account, the maximum i used was 26mb in one day, but most days alot less, the data connection was always on (3g) that was in the days i first got the phone, i use it less now. 100mb will be too small, especially if you watch youtube videos.

3. beefsack

Yeah definitely what I was thinking, any idea roughly how much you used a month? You used to watch a fair bit of youtube?

4. danielbb

I couldn't tell you mate, i switched to a different unmetered provider almost immediatly, nope youtube was just the occasional video. The 26mb was one of the first days i had it, so i was on it more than now.

You cant actually use it too much because of the small battery, you should easy be under 1gb unless you use it as your primary internet connection.

5. beefsack

Yeah looks like 1gb will be the go, gotta avoid roaming out of major cities to avoid a $1.65/mb surcharge :p rare I do that though

6. danielbb

Ok, i have some figures for you.

From 10 days starting:

8.00am 30th decemer to 1pm 10th January i used 74,042kb or 74 megabytes

So around 222 megabytes per month, and im a light to very light user id say.

7. beefsack

Some hard data makes my decision fairly easy, the 100mb would definitely be too low. Do you use google maps much?

8. danielbb

Not then nope, over that period it would have been downloading a fair few applications from the marketplace, a couple of photos uploaded from the camera emailed to my geotagging site. Gps tracker data when i was out, next to no maps usage. Hour or so total on a messenger, and browsing the net, mainly when out in the car.