Average Data Usage

Last Updated:

1. bigapple2

bigapple2 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking at different plans for a new HTC Desire and am wondering what everyone's average data usage of their Desire is. Basically, I am debating between a plan that will give me a 3GB FU policy and another SIM only plan that will give me a 1GB FU policy. Prices and other factors are more or less irrelevent currently.

I think I will be an average-heavy user, with about an hour and a half of bus time to kill every day probably making up the bulk of my usage. I don't plan to tether at all though.

Opinions? 1GB or 3GB?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

I generally have access to wifi most places I go but I suppose it would depend on what you are wanting to do. If you want to stream music or video or do a lot of surfing you will almost certainly need the 3GB plan. On the desire you get the "full" web experience so its a lot more bandwith heavy than other phones you might have used. Although you could use Opera which does clever things on its servers to re-render web pages and send you compressed versions.

3. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

depends what you intend to do in that travel time. I average about 40MB a month as I tend to use mine at home and in the office on WiFi most of the time. I was expecting my usage to be higher than the allocated 500MB a month thru Orange, but I am quietly surprised at the moment.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I use close to 1GB at the moment. Whej I get Slingplayer it will most likely be more.

5. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

I would recommend the 3gb package for peace of mind to use it as much as you want.

I tend to use anywhere between 1gb and 2gb per month out of my 3gb allowance. I usually browse the internet for less than an hour and a half each day. I have emails, calendar, twitter, etc updating frequently and also several news feeds. Using Google Navigation a few times a month contributes to some of my usage.

6. bigapple2

bigapple2 Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, will be getting the Desire with T-Mobile UK, their FU policy is 3GB for Android phones. The other alternative I was previously considering was buying the phone separately then getting a SIM only plan, but that would restrict me down to the usual 1GB FU policy.

Thanks guys.