AVG free for Nexus 7Support

Last Updated: 2013-05-17 16:17:37
  1. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

I have AVG free on my Nexus 7. But now I noticed there is a tablet one?
    Does it matter which one I use?

Advertisement
  2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

I wouldn't use either.
  3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

+1, if you're careful with what/where you install, you don't need AV.

That being said, if there's a tablet optimised version, you're probably better off using that one.
    mm43 likes this.
  4. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

Thanks
  5. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

6. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

It's a resource hog, battery drainer, and pretty much useless. A much better AV is common sense. Don't download any APK's that aren't trusted and don't visit websites from the darkest holes of the web. If you plan on doing either then go ahead and install the tablet version.

I am an Android user of 3 years and a heavy user of my phone, never had an issue yet.
    mm43 likes this.
  7. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer Guide

The only reason I'd even consider using any AV on a non-Windows system would be to provide a safeguard against accidentally becoming a unwitting source of malware that may be present in forwarded (but unread) emails. The payload is almost always no risk to anything but a Windows machine, certainly not to an Android device, but I'd hate to be responsible for passing it on.

As it is I don't use it, I use common sense and the better AV capability of the mail server (Gmail) than I'd ever have locally on an Android device.
    mm43 likes this.