AVI files and video playerSupport

Last Updated:

1. ericnail

ericnail Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Dec 27, 2009

I was downloading house of off retail dvds yesterday and putting them into avi format. They play great and high quality on my computer and i usually handbrake them into mp4 to put on my DX.

I was under the presumtion that the DX couldn't play Avi files. However i decided to try.

I opened up the stock player and shockingly, it played! However, the video was choppy and about 5 minutes in the sound and video lose sync.

I then downloaded Rockplayer from the market because ut claimed to play avi files. I loaded up my house and ban! Perfect playback and no unsyncronization.

My question is this: if the default video player could play avi, why is it so terrible at it.

I can't do hdmi out with rockplayer and id really rather not have to... not to mention mp4 files drastically reduce quality...

Anyone have insight on this, or perhaps info on whether froyo may or may not fix this... or perhaps avi works fine on your DX.

Please dolet me know.

2. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Probably depends on the codecs used to encode the video, the video's resolution, and a few other potentially problematic file properties that I can think of.

Try playing different videos of various lengths, sizes, and from numerous sources. See which ones play better and link to them here so we can take a look.
  3. john0821

john0821 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I use RockPlayer as well and love it. Default everything sucks. Choppy movie playing, lags when unlocking the phone, Motorblur syncing FB with contacts, etc. I had install Launcher Pro, use RockPlayer, unlock with WidgetLocker, redo the settings for my contacts, and root the phone to get it to where I want it.
  4. ptown434

ptown434 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2010

I really could not tell the difference from AVI. and MP4. ALthough I have not see the same movie in both formats. Anyone have pics of the difference.