Avoiding big brother monitoring internet @ work via wireless tetherTips

Last Updated:

1. nbm400

nbm400 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So my setup at work is pretty slick... My network internet connection at work is restricted and monitored as is similar in most corporations.

My technique to avoid the proxy is this...

Plug a USB wireless adapter into the PC, Run a virtual machine with the virtual network adapter pointed to the USB wireless adapter. I run wireless tether on the EVO and boom my PC stays in tact on the corporate network, so email and other network activity works and appears normal and is routed thru the corp LAN, but when I want to browse the web I jump in my VM which is routed thru my EVO.

Wireless tether FTW!

Advertisement
  2. liquidtrance

liquidtrance Member

Neat idea but as a Network Admin I've seen people get fired for less, just be careful :p

nbm400 likes this.
  3. haner

haner Active Member

Just use Putty and setup a socks proxy via SSH to an outside server. Have firefox use the socks proxy and IE use your default network connection. Has worked for many years for me.

4. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

I just disable my work LAN and plug the EVO in. They have no clue.

But lately I've just been using my EVO for web browsing because it's so damn good.

5. nbm400

Yeah could just unplug, but I still need access to servers on the LAN to actually do my job. But there are times when my job actually requires me getting to resources that are blocked by the corp proxy server.

I also love that my EVO has better bandwidth than this lousy network.

6. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

Hey nbm400, this is your boss and yes, I know how to use Kismet! NOW GET BACK TO WORK!! :D

7. htcevolee

htcevolee Well-Known Member

Just a FYI if by chance you are lucky and get your EVO through your company for free like me they could always pull a re "web usage" report on your Sprint line and see what kind of websites your going too..Naughty! =P

8. Dracostian

Dracostian Active Member

Then your net admin doesn't care.

Attempt to do anything of the sort in our domain and you'll get flagged three different ways.

Then again, I have all of that monitored because I have to; I honestly don't give two shiats what employees do as long as they aren't breaking the law and they get their work done. :)

I only respond because while your suggestion is something technically apt people do at a lot of workplaces, it is not foolproof, and it's relatively easily detectable; it's also grounds to get fired from a lot of employers. Intentionally circumventing any systems for non-work purposes tends to be grounds for dismissal at most mid-to-large businesses nowadays.

9. Budah

Budah Member

If I fired up a wireless network at work via the EVO or otherwise it would probably take security less than an hour to be standing at my desk looking for the rogue network.

Luckily one or two of us have needs for a 2nd machine that is outside the network so I don't have this problem.

10. nbm400

This is one case where the wifi sucking on the EVO comes in handy :)

11. Reddawg

Reddawg Active Member

I just connect my EVO to a netbook I bring in and set on the side. The only thing of the company's I'm using is a little electricity.

12. sesso

sesso Active Member

I did this for awhile at godaddy. Admins couldnt tell because Port 22 has to be open. I just used vnc to connect to home. I quit after awhile. A few people did it also and one got fired for it.

13. thebearjew

thebearjew Member

Is tethered data use charged differently than the "Mobile Hotspot"?

14. septro

septro Well-Known Member

You sir are the kind of people that keep me employed in network security..

Then you wonder when USB controls get installed on workstations with a draconian policy no letting you plug in anything or when wireless rogue detection is set to actively disassociate clients that pop up on unauthorized APs in your building.

You guys can thank NBM400 when security sticks a boot in that ass..

15. meyerweb

meyerweb Well-Known Member

And their time, if you're on the clock.