• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Avoiding spam in standard mail app

nattyb

Lurker
Sep 4, 2010
hi there

I have a HTC desire and have my hotmail set up in the standard mail app.
i have noticed that some of the mail that lands in the junk mail folder on hotmail itself goes straight into me inbox on my phone.

can i avoid this at all?

thanks

nat

Not sure why that's happening, but it's another reason not to use that app and Hotmail. I found that app was eating up a lot of data for me because Hotmail is POP3 only and it therefore has to poll for new messages. I got round this by going into Hotmail on my PC and forwarding my mail to my gMail account (which is IMAP and therefore doesn't have to poll). I then turned polling off altogether on the Mail app and just use the gMail app now. I now use less data and get less spam (because gMail's spam filters seem better than Hotmail's to me).

Upvote 0
sorry to pop in with a different situation, but with my HTC desire HD i receive my pop email, my hosting provider has its own spam filter and when they catch spam the add a prefix to de email's subject like *****SPAM*****, what i usually do I program my email clients in my different computers to filter emails with that prefix just in case their own spam filter didn't catch the spam. Now, the Desire HD's mail app doesn't have spam filter and cannot filter messages so my inbox is totally full of spam all the time...., so disappointed, is there a solution for this?.

p.s.: i temporarily told the hosting provider's spam filter to delete those emails, but of course that's not the solution due the possible loss of not spam email.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones