Awake 100%General

Last Updated:

1. dougqt

dougqt Member This Topic's Starter

I know there are other threads about battery life, but I can't figure this out. My battery life is horrible. 8 hours with light use. I have set Chomp as my default message app. I stopped using visual voice mail. I am running Beautiful Widgets, Facebook Widget, Fox News Widget, and SystemPanel Task Killer Widget. My awake time is always 100%. I can't figure out what is killing it so fast and what is causing it not to sleep. I let it die completely before charging it (no partial charges). Please Help. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Beautiful Widgets seems to have been the cause with others in the past. Are you on 1.5 or 2.1?

3. dougqt

I have 1.5 I just intalled beautiful widgets a couple days ago. This has been a persistant problem since January when I got the phone.

4. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

download "spare parts" from the market, open spare parts>battery history>change the pull down at the top to "partial wake usage" and most likely there will be an app right at the top with a solid blue bar, whatever that app is, is the problem.

meebo, ebuddy, hi yahoo and aim and such are known culprits, as well as some battery widget apps and I'm sure there are others.

5. graphitedv

graphitedv Well-Known Member

Facebook widget and Fox News killed my battery. Bloo has been fine as well as the News/Weather widget from the Nexus.

6. dougqt

Downloaded Spare Parts. Under Partial Wake usage there is a solid blue bar next to Android System. There is a thin blue bar next to (in descending order) Mail, Media, Facebook, Home, and Google Apps.

7. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Hmmm Great "android system" can't uninstall that one! When you click the bar does it give you any details like what else is reporting under it? It may not, I guess we gotta just start uninstalling apps until the phone sleeps? I think I saw around here somewhere that some of the task killers on "autokill" settings can keep the phone awake, maybe start there, then the widgets? (and no i'm not trying to start a task killer fight, just trying to help troubleshoot)

8. celton

celton Active Member

Are you on 2.1 or 1.5. Have you checked the cell stand by time? If it searching for a signal 50% of the time, you need to use the Airplane mode trick.

9. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

He is on 1.5, that's a leak thing...so not gonna help him here.

10. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I would take a look at anything and everything you have that updates and/or syncs. It sounds like you have something stuck someplace.

Since you have System Panel installed you can also go into that and see what is running. It should tell you how much memory each app is using and the CPU time the app has used. See if there are any apps or widgets that are running really high on CPU time. That may also lead you to the problem.

11. dougqt

The only thing I know of that syncs is my google stuff. Here is what I have excluded in system panel Task Killer. Fox News, HTC Sense, System Panel, Touch Input, Beautiful Widgets, ChompSMS, and Mail.

12. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

I had the same issue when I was on 1.5 at 100% awake time and i did all the tricks. This is how I solved it. It is a timely process but I wanted to know what was causing it. Write down all your app names, remove every app yuo have installed. Reboot. Set phone to sleep and see awake time after 15-20mins of phone in sleep mode. Hopefully you now see something in the 30-50% awake time range. Now, install each app, one by one, and the ones that say prevent phone from sleeping, I would restart phone and do the same process of putting phone to sleep for 10-15mins and seeing what awake time was after. My culprit was youmail. Since removing that, I got great battery life. Hope this helps.

13. smacky

smacky Banned

Those apps that let you customize icons, wallpapers, layouts, etc. are one of the worst things. I'm almost positive it's one of those that's causing you issues. I had issues with OpenHome and after seeing the cons as compared to the pros, it's a no-brainer.

14. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

Yesterday I had 100% awake time. In my case, Battery History showed "Calendar" using most of the partial wake time, and sure enough, my Facebook sync was stuck. The only way I figured out that it was Facebook was that I turned on the update notifications in "People" and I got the same update notification every thirty seconds. I had to reboot the phone to fix; un-checking "sync contacts" didn't help, airplane mode didn't help... I think that Calendar requests get queued, and it stays awake as long as something's in the queue.

15. dougqt

Found it. There was a battery monitor widget that I downloaded, installed to my home screen, and removed a long time ago. I started deleting 1 program at a time from marketplace and then let it sit and rechecked the status after a shutdown. It was always 100% awake after every program until I deleted the battery monitor and then it went down to 47%. What was interesting to me is that it didn't show up as running in System Panel and wasn't excluded from "end all". But as soon as I deleted it my phone went to sleep. Thanks for all of your help everybody. :)

16. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Glad you got it resolved. An 8 hour battery life would suck!

17. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

Dougqt, can you tell us the exact name of the app (battery widget, battery monitor, battery monitor widget)? That way we can avoid it. Thank you!

18. OfTheDamned

Glad you have it sorted out. :D

I've had worse than that on a few days.

19. OfTheDamned

Wow, way to throw in a random and useless political statement in a thread where someone is asking for help. :rolleyes:

There is a political area on the forum. Politics and Current Affairs - Android Forums
    I suggest you use that for your little comments next time.

20. dougqt

The widget was called "battery widget". I would like to thank most of you for you bi-partisan help. :) It was greatly appreciated.

21. dirtmouth

dirtmouth Well-Known Member

turning wifi off helped me a great deal. only turn it on when i need it.

22. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Glad you found it and fwiw I like fox news

23. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Well-Known Member

Has anyone quantified the effect of doing the airplane mode trick on both battery and call signal? I was doing it after every restart in 2.1 and thought it was helping battery life, then I didn't do it once and thought the battery lasted much longer.

24. OfTheDamned

The only thing I can say for sure is that it got rid of the 50% without signal that I kept having. When that went away my battery life appeared to be better. I have done any real testing on it though. It could have been placebo.

25. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll stop doing the trick for awhile and see if that makes any big difference. I think it might be placebo too.