Awake Time at 100%...out of ideasSupport

Last Updated:

1. Topshelf

Topshelf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, I know there are a few threads on this topic already since I've been searching for an answer, but if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. My phone is having the 100% Awake Time issue and I can't figure out why. I've uninstalled a few apps that I thought could be the problem, but that made no difference. I then changed to a completely empty screen layout to remove any possible widget issues, still the same. Last night I installed SystemPanel so I could get a better idea of what's going on and now I'm even more confused. It doesn't show a single thing that's eating up CPU time. Under Battery Use it shows Android System at 43%, then Cell Standby and WiFi at 14%. Is there something in the Android OS that is screwy? I'm at a complete loss on how to continue trouble shooting this. I'd really rather avoid a complete reset of the phone, but if it's the only option I have...:( I'm going to go through and uninstall basically everything I can today to see if I can find the culprit, but any ideas would be great. If it was an app though, wouldn't I see it in SystemPanel??? Here's some shots of my use this morning. I was using it a bit, but there's obvious spots where the phone should have stopped being "awake".

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. mrcrusha829

mrcrusha829 Active Member

Go to the market and install "Spare Parts".... this will allow you to see what program is keeping the phone in a state of partial awake.

dan h likes this.
  3. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

read somewhere that exchange sync was causing same prob

4. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

Mine was the calendar even after I force stopped it. Had to reboot and force stop it again and then it started sleeping. Funny part is I never had this problem until Friday and I have had my phone since 4/28.

5. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

I know several apps will show this screen but i like this app and you might too.

download "battery left" and install and let it run for an hour or 2. Now when you open the app, click on the 'history' and it will show what apps are running the most and such. I think this will give you enough info to pinpoint the problem. I cant find any screen shots that show the screen but i am sure it will help you

6. ratchetjaw

ratchetjaw Well-Known Member

I have this same issue even after factory reset. Have spare parts it just shows phone awake time

7. zeke88

zeke88 Well-Known Member

Topself, what app is that?

8. ratchetjaw

ratchetjaw Well-Known Member

OKay just realized how to actually use spare parts. My calendar was wake full blast. To the op try spare parts and use the partial wake pull down to see what's running

9. waynester

10. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Lots of apps piggyback on the calendar, I've found if I sync Flickr and Facebook I have this issue with the calendar keeping the phone awake. Remove Flickr and all is well. Hope that helps!

ratchetjaw likes this.
  11. Topshelf

Does Spare Parts tell me more/different info than what I'm using? If so I'll try it out today. I just uninstalled a few more apps, rebooted and giving it the 10 minute wait time to see what happens. This is so frustrating. If this doesn't work there's an option in the SystemPanel app I'm using to close all apps. I think I might try that to see if it fixes the calendar/mail/messaging issues I've seen while reading.

Zeke, it's called SystemPanel App / Task Manager. I really like the options.

SystemPanel App / Task Manager - Android app on AppBrain

On a side note, check out my battery in the second pic. After 10 hours on the charger, I powered the phone off, unplugged and powered back on. The battery never even makes it back to 100% which explains why a lot of us see the phone drop around 4% so quickly. Bad batteries???

12. jrm1013

jrm1013 Active Member

Topshelf: Just had this problem last night. It was Slacker. It showed as background status on systempanel on my phone as well, not using resources, but it wouldn't let the phone sleep. Uninstall it and test it. For some reason, even when I closed out of slacker properly, it still wouldn't let my phone sleep. Uninstalling fixed it for me.

13. dan h

dan h Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. This app provides info about my phone that would require 2 or 3 different apps to do and gives access tosome hidden options on the android.

14. metalmenance

metalmenance Well-Known Member

For me I noticed the biggest one is flickr!
    deleted the sync for it and prob solved
    wish there was a way to link to picasa like had on moto droid with 2.1gallery
    anyone know how to sync picasa easy? like take pic and upload to picasa one step...

ratchetjaw likes this.
  15. Topshelf

Thanks guys. I did the "End All" in SystemPanel and it did fix the issue, but after a reboot it was back. While waiting I just read jrm's Slacker post so I ended just the inactive tasks and that again fixed it. Going to remove Slacker now to see if that's the culprit. Will update.

16. Topshelf

Well Slacker wasn't the problem. Turns out that closing out the Calendar fixes it every time. Good news is I know what the problem is...bad news is what the heck do I do now? I want the calendar functioning.:confused:

17. waynester

have you tried picasa tool in market?

18. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

In your Google accounts there is an option to sync Picasa? I use it all the time. Oh I see you want automatically backed up, I just share with if its a good one.

19. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

What do you have syncing? If you have Flickr or Picasa active turn them off and reboot. I guarantee its not actually the calendar but something else that reports as the calendar. Check network usage in spare parts and sometimes it gives a list of apps that show as 'calendar'

20. howarmat

use spare parts or the battery left app and look at partial wake time like mentioned after an hour. it should tell you the exact app if you leave the phone alone and dont play with it for a little while

21. Topshelf

I'm going to stop everything from syncing, then turn things back on one at a time till I find the problem. I think I'll grab Spare Parts first though as that seems to be helping a lot of people out.

22. Mr.Slave

Mr.Slave Well-Known Member

Do you have the Engadget widget installed? The problem is not Android it is that the app developers created these app not realizing how the multi-tasking works with android. The came in and wrote these app with the same functionality as the iPhone apps that auto shutdown once you leave them. If the app devs would put exit or close buttons in their apps it would make battery management easier for us. Also like I have seen others say if you have alot of apps syncing to the cloud that eats alot of battery you can either space the sync frequency further apart or manual sync. Either way they should have included a 1500mA battery but they wanted to keep the cost down. :( So to sum up what I am saying widgets in general eat most of the battery FriendStream is also a killer. I suggest copying Topshelf and using them one by one to see what the battery killer is, that and you can also go into battery management and it will tell you what widgets are eating up the most.

23. Topshelf

Well after several annoying hours I found the problem, but don't know how to resolve it. Facebook for HTC Sense is somehow tied into the Calendar service and creating the problem. If I end the calendar service the phone will sleep till it's restarted, but not very convenient. But the strange thing is if I end the Facebook for HTC Sense service, it takes the calendar out with it. Of course sleep works fine at this point. So I tried removed the sync check boxes under FB for Sense and restarted but that didn't fix things. Same thing for Calendar and Contacts since I noticed both of these took a good minute or two to complete syncing. Then I removed all check boxes and it still didn't work. :mad: So I uninstalled FB for Sense and everything was perfect...except that I lost all the FB info for my contacts. :( So I added FB back, and I'm right where I started with 100% awake time. WTF? :confused:

Oh, and I installed Spare Parts, but don't understand what I can do with this. If I go into Partial Awake it shows Calendar off the charts, like 75% compared to everything else. But I was hoping it would break down exactly what the problem was.

24. howarmat

no it wont do that but it tells you what app is the issue. Search thru the forum cause the calender problem is a known issue and there are way so fix it that others have found

25. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Is Facebook the only thing you have syncing like that? I had the same issue but it was only when I had both FB and Flickr set to sync or FB and Picasa caused it once too I think?