Awake Time??

Last Updated:

1. Rube8514

Rube8514 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone please explain to me in detail what exactly "awake time" and "up time" mean?? I am sooo confused. I unplugged my phone at 6:20am today with a full charge and it is now 9:52am. I have been running Pandora since 7am consistently. My battery is almost under halfway with bars..my uptime is 45:12:40 and my awake time is 16:07:05 (36%) ...anyone assist?

Advertisement
  2. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

uptime is how long the phone has been on since its last boot
    awake time is how long the phone has been actively running processes

3. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

Running Pandora consistently from 7 a.m. until about 10 a.m. will definitely drain your battery. That is normal.

4. Rube8514

How often should I reboot? Will the awake time ever change? Because isn't the phone alway running processess?

5. Rube8514

is there a good percentage for awake time compaired to battery life?

6. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

First of all, you need to know that plugging the phone into your computer will cause the phone not to sleep, and your awake time to be high because of it (not a big deal).

Running pandora for 3 straight hours will kill your battery quite quickly, just like running any other app for 3 straight hours will kill it quickly.
    for a stock phone, with average use, I'd say about 20% is a good target. A heavy user, 35% or so is probably fine. There's no real need to reboot at a set interval, just reboot when it starts to seem a bit more sluggish than usual.

Rube8514 likes this.
  7. dsavage

dsavage Well-Known Member

Reboot as often as you feel the need to. Some people reboot every day, some less frequently, some people only when they notice the phone behaving unusually, lagging, behaving erratically, etc. The idea being that clearing everything out of memory, old processes, etc. will eliminate the problems.

Uptime & awake time both reset to 0:00 when you reboot, and after a reasonable amount of time with normal usage, the amount of awake time should always be a good deal smaller (YMMV) than uptime. Awake time has the most dramatic effect on your battery life, since it is essentially the time that the phone is "turned on", actively doing something (playing music, making a call, browsing the web, etc.) When the phone is "sleeping", uptime continues to count ahead, awake time does not.

Try this. Before you go to bed tonight, note the difference between the uptime & awake time. Turn the phone off (do not reboot it), put it on the charger and go to sleep. Tomorrow, when you wake up, check the uptime & awake time. The difference between them now, minus the difference from last night, should be just about the number of hours of sleep you got.

Rube8514 likes this.