Awesome app for rooted D1... my fav.

Last Updated:

1. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member Contributor This Topic's Starter

Ok, so you've rooted your D1, and done all the fancy stuff you can think of. What's STILL your biggest limitation? LACK OF INTERNAL MEMORY! You've moved all the apps you can to the SD card, but the effect is minimal. You've still got a memory limit issue and it's driving you nuts, right?

I found this neat app...it's not very glamorous but it is AWESOME.

"Move2SD Enabler" lets you move many apps to SD that were NOT specifically programmed to be moved. It works perfectly on my rooted (but stock ROM) Droid 1. It's in the market. This is a new/recent app, that few are aware of.

Advantages: Moves many apps not designed to be moved to SD, including Adobe Flash 10.1 and Skyfire... that alone will give you 20 Mb of internal storage back. You can easily move these apps between internal and SD memory using the usual "move to SD/Phone" button within settings/applications/manage.

Disadvantages: Must be rooted (not a disadvantage :). Still doesn't move all user apps, but does most. Can not move system apps (like Amazon MP3). Shouldn't be used to move widgets. Apps moved to SD don't show in regular utilities such as App2SD or SDmove, but they are there on your SD if you've moved them. Requires froyo (Android 2.2). Not sure if works with custom ROMs, but does work well with the stock rooted froyo ROM (with/without custom Kernel). I am running FRG01B 2.2.

Enable the "external" button within this app upon download, and you'll see the "move to SD" button light up when picking your apps in settings/applications/manage, much to your delight! I think this app was originally designed to work with the N1, but I have no problems on my rooted Droid1.

Advertisement
  2. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

You can also move any app to SD with Titanium backup.

3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Titanium Backup also can move most any app to sd card. I have used TiBu for moving my apps since shortly after Froyo was leaked for the Droid. Just long press any app listed in the "backup/restore" tab...then select "Move to SD card".

Go into the TiBu preferences and make sure the "Force to same location" box is checked when you load a new ROM. When you restore apps using TiBu, it will remember where your apps were located and as it restores...it restores to the right location ;)

I have not tried the app that ndoren mentioned...so if you want a stand alone app you can try it. Most of us use TiBu already so it makes sense to me to use it for moving my apps to SD.

Edit: G.Armor beat me to the punch... :D

G.Armour likes this.
  4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

to the OP

"(like Amazon MP3)." can be deleted with TiBU as well as TiBU moving apps to SD like other said.

nice find though.

we need a thread off apps to NOT move to your SD card - as we have one for apps you can natively move - that have been proven to cause issues if you move.

BTW.. a nice bonus is that if you use 1 of these apps to move a not native SD card app over, it still shows up in settings > apps > manage > on sd card and within that you can even move it back to the phone.

5. ndoren

Thanks for the tip on TiBU. I've used MyBackup Pro, which has a "root mode," but clearly not nearly the robust features of Titanium Backup.

As far as moving built-in apps like AmazonMP3, gotta agree with Lock-N-Load... delete 'em and don't move 'em :). For non-rooted users (and us, too), LauncherPro has a nice feature in that you can hide any/all apps from ever being seen in the app tray, in the event the user doesn't want to delete them. The downside of LauncherPro is that it boots really fast, even before my SD card mounts (I have a 32Gb card). Thus, I have to restart LPro after the card's mounted to get all my icons for carded apps, etc. Neall

6. ndoren

Exactly, that's very convenient. However, the apps that "weren't meant to be moved to SD" (but that we move via our methods) don't show up on the SD card listing when using apps such as App2SD or SDMove. Thus, I've completely lost track of what's on my SD card and what's in the phone memory. I've had to resort to parsing through apps via settings > apps > manage manually, just to figure out what's where.

7. Lock-N-Load

this is why I do not use "App2SD or SDMove" - with TiBU I can move apps that do not allow moving, delete apps and then still use the stock settings manage apps to see what is on the SD card.

it gets 2 confusing to have several apps cover what 1 app and what the system can show/do.

8. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Also, since alot of apps have enabled apps2sd, there is another nifty app called app2sd (good name for it huh?). It checks all your apps on your phone and the new ones that you download, if any of them can be moved (without root) it will notify you and let you move them.

9. Lock-N-Load

I use "sdwatch" which is tiny and just runs in the BG and if you download an app that can be moved to SD card it gives you a notification, click that and it takes you right to the apps "move to SD card" setting. it essentially takes you to applications > manage apps and long presses for you and gets you right to the spot to simply press the "move to SD" button.