• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Back cover, letters falling off AGAIN!

Makavetis

May 18, 2010
So this is my 3rd back cover for the phone. And every time about after a month the letters on the back cover start falling off. and for me the T has fallen off each time! My friend just lost his letter too H.

Just kind of pissed about the quality of this back case, very cheap. Cant wait to get a Samsung Galaxy if it ever comes for verizon because im not too happy of the HTC quality. This shouldn't be a problem and never have i had a phone with this issue.

I personally prefer the look of it without the silver lettering:) I think the dark recess looks nice with the tiered styling of the back. ( Make sure to peel out any of the glue residue. It should peel off fairly easily. )

I also don't see the claim of poor quality. The only viable solutions I can think of involve either not having the silver logo at all, instead just painting it on or some such...or having an all metal back painted matte black minus the logo. However, this would require a different method for removing the back, most likely screws, which you then have screw holes the need to be plugged...or not being removable at all. Finally, the most basic, but also cheapest and least interesting looking: flatten the letters and just paint them onto the plastic like the Google logo.

Upvote 0
I see people complaining about the back cover being flimsy but mine seems fine. Not as sturdy as the Eris was but ok none the less. Are you using any type of cleaner that could weaken the glue that is holding in the letters? I occasionally use high grade rubbing alcohol on a cloth to clean the hand oils off the back and now I am kinda worried about loosening the letters.

Upvote 0
I figured out why they fall off. I called HTC and they told me it is a known issue. Due to the heat of our hands combined with the heat radiated from the phone during charging or heavy use, causes the glue they used to become malleable and the letters come off easily. Once the phone cools off again the glue sets again. When I asked them what I can do to ensure they stay on, they told me and I quote "there is nothing you can do, if they come off just try and put them back on and not use your phone heavily or charge it too much." That is laughable!! They also told me the glue they used was from Japan and its lead based, thats why when it heats up it becomes tacky again. Yeah thats safe...dont go licking the back of your phone haha.

I just peeled them off all together and took some goo gone and got rid of the nasty tack glue they used. Personally I think it looks better. Think of it as a customization heh.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones