Back/Home Button Thoughts...

Last Updated:

1. HiroDeliverator

HiroDeliverator New Member This Topic's Starter

Dec 5, 2010
    So I am just a little curious to see what everyone thinks about this Idea...

What if google or application developers created a standard for the Back and Home Buttons. I just don't like the way that in some apps the back takes you one screen back and in others it exits. Or sometimes it does one or the other. A good example is the messaging app. When I push the Back button from one of my conversations I would like it to go back to the list. Occasionally, usually after I go into the text from a notification, it exits the app and i have to start it up again.

I have had my droid since April of last year so I already know the difference between the buttons and its not a hard thing to get over, but I was thinking it could be be set up in some better way.

My thoughts on it:
    Back Button -
    Short Press - Dedicated to only going back one page, directory(such as file explorer), etc. Not EXIT unless at home directory and developer deems necessary
    Long Press - Home directory of app or pop-up exit, etc.
    Home Button -
    Short press - takes you home, program kept in memory.
    Long Press - Exits App - Removing it from memory. (change Task switcher to long press menu button. AFAIK it doesn't do anything)

I believe this covers all sorts of situations when it comes to the phone. Tell me what you think and if you've got alternative Ideas or opinions on it post it here. Community ideas are what open source is about right? I'm going for some kind of standard though so i guess keep the same format going to describe your system.

2. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Actually, try doing a long press on the menu button anywhere. It is already bound. ;D
  3. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Google finally agreed that apps need an exit button and have made it so in Gingerbread.

I've always hated the back thing to exit. Especially on the browser.