Back & menu button not workingSupport

1. karera78

karera78 New Member

Hello
    I recently broke my s3 screen and replaced it myself. Since I put in the new screen (w/ LCD) the back button and the menu button don't work-glow at all, everything else works fine(monitor, sound, cameras e.t.c). Reopened the phone to see if I missed something but everything was on right. Also viewed the YouTube video to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I didn't. Any Ideas why this is happening?

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Well-Known Member

Might be more than just the screen broken. Where did you buy a new screen?
  3. karera78

karera78 New Member

got it on ebay
  4. Shane_G

Shane_G New Member

Any luck with this. I've just gone and done the same thing. Buttons lighting up but unresponsive to touch....
  5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Take it to a service centre!!!
  6. JZypo

JZypo New Member

I have the same problem. I got the lcd + glass + digitizer on ebay for $130. The back button and the menu button do not work or light up. Maybe knowing what connection to the motherboard carries the lights and touch for thosse buttons would help.
  7. cshep

cshep New Member

I ordered a glass+lcd+digitizer from repairs universe and have the same issue. It looks like there may be some kits that don't entirely work out there. figures...

Update (for anyone who still cares about this issue):

So this is what I did to get my phone working again (without replacing the screen yet again)...
    - root the phone (search youtube, there are plenty of vids that show how; I used Odin3_v3.07_SGSIII)
    - unlock the bootloader (via the ez-unlock app in the play store)
    - install clockworkmod recovery (download here)
    - Download Cyanogenmod 10 nightly (i have the sammy gs3 SCH-I535 model)
    - Download gapps for cyanogenmod 10.0
    - Download the handy NAVBar mod to enable on-screen back, menu, and recent buttons (I specifically loaded the NAV_HomeCamera script)
    - Place the following files from the downloads in the "Downloads" folder on my phone (you can use the external SD card if you wish; I don't have one currently; I used Kies Aire from my phone for the transfer):
    - cm-10-20121208-NIGHTLY-d2vzw.zip
    - gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip
    - NAV_HomeCamera_Universal_1.7.zip
    - NAV_Remove_Universal_1.7.zip (just in case I needed to remove the NAV mod, which I didn't)
    - Booted into clockworkmod recovery, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe davlik, then installed CM10, gapps, and NAV_HomeCamera mod.

So now I have a phone with on screen back, menu, and recent buttons just like my Google Nexus 7. The physical button on the phone now acts as the camera shutter release (or opens camera app with long press). My phone has been wiped of all the Samsung bloatware and is running JellyBean 4.1.2 (up from ICS 4.0.4 stock), again, like my Nexus 7.

Frankly, I wish the manufacturers would do away with the physical buttons anyway. I really don't miss the capacitive menu and back buttons at all.

Good luck all!
  8. HelpMePlease1

HelpMePlease1 New Member

I have the same problem with my galaxy s3
    Replaced the screen.
    The return back and menu buttons light up but do not work. They aren't responsive.

The ribbon is pressed firmly against the glass and the ribbon is not broken.

Is the glass responsible for the responsiveness? Or is it the ribbon, I was assuming the ribbon is just for light. And maybe the glass has to be seated properly?
  9. ScornedNexus

ScornedNexus Member

any luck I have the same problem!!!