Back to TouchWiz

Last Updated:

1. thejtl

thejtl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I've spent the last week or so retooling my launch screens with different launchers (LauncherPro Plus, Open Home, ADW) and I liked features of them all, but no one launcher had all the features I wanted and no one launcher looked completely ready for prime time. So yesterday I went back to TW, just to see what I was missing and found that I like it better than I did before. It's not on par with Sense (I had an Aria before I went to the Cap), but it's a well-executed UI with enough polish to make it look slick enough. The third party stuff was always a little janky and I had to futz with the phone to get it right. I come from a graphics background and, while I don't really dig the cartoony icons and I wish I had the option to select my own, it's a nice looking interface. YMMV.

Just thought I'd share.

Advertisement
  2. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Well-Known Member

What specifically didn't you like about LauncherPro?

I find the stock one horribly designed and way too busy, too many colors, too cartoony.

3. thejtl

I liked it OK, but I just couldn't get the look to be cohesive, no matter what I tried. And then their People widget never had people in it half the time. I'd scrll to it to make a call and it would be loading, soI'd have to go elsewhere, but the next time I went back, there were the people. I was reminded of a certain children's rhyme: Open the phone, see the people, etc.,etc. It was just a little buggy, not ready for the big leagues, as were all those third party launchers I tried.

I'm with you on the cartoony nature of TW but combined with some nice widgets, both stock and third party (Feeds and Updates, Mixzing and Beautiful Weather Home specifically) I've found the level of polish I was looking for.

It remains to be seen if I feel the phone's too slow w/ TW, but today, not really any more than with the other launchers.

4. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Well-Known Member

I don't know what the People thing was, I deleted the link and then relinked it with the Contacts app on the phone, works great every time.

There was absolutely nothing I liked about the TouchWiz UI.

5. thejtl

Yeah, I tried it all, but still wonky. Like I said, I didn't like TW out of the box, but upon further review, not so bad. And again, YMMV.

6. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

My problem with the others is the app drawer. None of them have the customizable version where I can rearrange the icons.

7. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I just recently converted to LauncherPro (man, it would've been nice if LP could import your screens from TW!)

So far there's nothing I've found that LP couldn't do, and better. Now granted that's not an all-encompassing fact, I realize... it's just reflecting what I've wanted it to do.

LP still has some issues though. Can't re-arrange icons within folders, can't rearrange screens, and the new feature for hiding apps in the master app list crashes LP on me every time I try to go into it. Still though I have more faith in improvements appearing in a timely manner in LP than I do in TW so I'll stick with it for now.