• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Back up and SD card swap questions

Tony_R

Jun 5, 2009
Hi people,

My first post here!

Right I have a G1... obviously.

I'm wanting to upgrade to a bigger memory card. How do I transfer the data apps etc on the current sd card to the new sd card? (The current sd card is the on that came with the g1)

On to back up. I have an app called textract pro. I use it to email myself my threads(text messages) so I can clear them from my phone as having a thread of 2k messages slows things down(lag) when it comes to sending a message to that person.

I've been more recently thinking of doing a proper back up of the info on my phone. I was looking at installing my backup pro. This does texts too. If I back up and then delete the threads I'm guessing when I next back up the previous backed up texts will be overwritten/lost to me? In which case it may be better to carry on using textract pro for my text messages. The only thing is any post in the text threads with pictures in them are lost in a sense as the pictures dont get saved/sent to my email by textract pro. In a sense the thread is not saved in its entirety.

I'm guessing my backup pro would save the threads in its entirety pictures included?? If so Could I not then save these backed up threads to another location ie pc so when I next update the previous updates aren't totally lost? and could these backups that I move to a pc be viewed on the pc without having to put them back on my phone? I'm not interested in being able to put the texts back to the phone. Just need to be able to view them fully if I need any info from them. Which is where textract pro is good (apart from not saving picture messages that are part of that thread!)

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

TR

I would imagine just copy and paste the data from the old sd card to a desktop folder and then copy and paste that to the new card via a card reader. I suggest using the memory card reader to ensure that yout application doesn't try to start a new folder for it's data.

Upvote 0
Hi people,

My first post here!

Right I have a G1... obviously.

I'm wanting to upgrade to a bigger memory card. How do I transfer the data apps etc on the current sd card to the new sd card? (The current sd card is the on that came with the g1)

On to back up. I have an app called textract pro. I use it to email myself my threads(text messages) so I can clear them from my phone as having a thread of 2k messages slows things down(lag) when it comes to sending a message to that person.

I've been more recently thinking of doing a proper back up of the info on my phone. I was looking at installing my backup pro. This does texts too. If I back up and then delete the threads I'm guessing when I next back up the previous backed up texts will be overwritten/lost to me? In which case it may be better to carry on using textract pro for my text messages. The only thing is any post in the text threads with pictures in them are lost in a sense as the pictures dont get saved/sent to my email by textract pro. In a sense the thread is not saved in its entirety.

I'm guessing my backup pro would save the threads in its entirety pictures included?? If so Could I not then save these backed up threads to another location ie pc so when I next update the previous updates aren't totally lost? and could these backups that I move to a pc be viewed on the pc without having to put them back on my phone? I'm not interested in being able to put the texts back to the phone. Just need to be able to view them fully if I need any info from them. Which is where textract pro is good (apart from not saving picture messages that are part of that thread!)

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

TR

MyBackup Pro makes zip'd backups each time ... you can have it overwite by using the same name for the archive but i name each one like:

Data0906051026 & for Apps >>> Apps0906051030 which denotes type and date-Time ...

Upvote 0
MyBackup Pro makes zip'd backups each time ... you can have it overwite by using the same name for the archive but i name each one like:

Data0906051026 & for Apps >>> Apps0906051030 which denotes type and date-Time ...

Right ok. So it wouldn't overwrite the previous backup then. Just store the new one along side it. Is there anyway to look up texts without rebooting(if thats the word) the back up file? Can I just open up the texts on my pc or something? Also will it store the thread in it's entirety, pics and all?

screwthe49ers: I have a card reader so thats a start. Has anyone actually done this though? I'm sure loads have upgraded their sd cards. Has anyone done this after using the original one for a while thus needing to transfer data from old card to new? Be good to hear how you did it.

Upvote 0
Just copy the old card's data to ta desktop folder, then insert the new card and paste the data to it. Do all this and then try your backup application. If it gives you a problem, just uninstall it and then re-install it. Let us know if there's any issues or whatever.

Upvote 0
Right ok. So it wouldn't overwrite the previous backup then. Just store the new one along side it. Is there anyway to look up texts without rebooting(if thats the word) the back up file? Can I just open up the texts on my pc or something? Also will it store the thread in it's entirety, pics and all?

screwthe49ers: I have a card reader so thats a start. Has anyone actually done this though? I'm sure loads have upgraded their sd cards. Has anyone done this after using the original one for a while thus needing to transfer data from old card to new? Be good to hear how you did it.

MyBackup Pro's backups are for restoring to the phone ... I pull these off the the SDCARD on a regular basis and archive them on my PC ...

Txtract app makes backup of the msg threads and can be used my other apps .. like HTML Broswer, Excal, Txt file, Database ....

I use both for different purposes .... You can develop your own backup strategy to suit your needs ....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones