Back up photos to mac...General

Last Updated:

1. eddytam

eddytam New Member

I find it hard to back up my photos, not only those from camera upload, but all the photos from whatsapp/downloads/sketchbook/camera to my mac. Any suggestion? Camera upload to dropbox works great but it literally only upload the camera but not any other stuff.

Any suggestions appreciated!

2. Simon_Gardner

Simon_Gardner Well-Known Member

Go to play store and remove Kies from the phone. Do it that way and don't just try and "uninstall" it on the phone. Get a copy of Android File Transfer on your Mac. Plug the phone into the Mac's USB port and go.

Very clunky but it works.
  3. Simon_Gardner

Oh and PS bluetooth also works but not good for a large number of files.
  4. lterry913

lterry913 Well-Known Member

^^^What he said...Android file transfer and install on the Mac...had to do this for a friend a while back and it worked like a charm.
  5. Bradyy

Bradyy Member

Kies backed up all of my photos. Or Airdroid isn't too bad.
  6. Simon_Gardner

To your Mac?
  7. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Airdroid creates a web server that gives you transfer access to your files. Any computer with a browser can use it. There are a few other programs like that - Wifi File Transfer is one of them.
  8. Simon_Gardner

He said he used Kies to transfer files to his Mac. I'm having difficulty with that.
  9. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

Kies I don't even use & Android File Transfer has NEVER worked for me.
    My personal app of choice is Airdroid. It connects your phone to Mac over wifi. Works like a charm.
  10. Simon_Gardner

I'm not convinced that will cope with shifting 64Gb of files regularly - which I expect to be doing soon.
  11. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

My mindset is the same as Simon, ScandaLeX. Can Airdroid handle up to 60gb of file transfers/backup? The times I've tried in the past, it will freeze in the middle and I end up having to use task manager to close it (of course, that's on a PC, but same idea anyway).

Of anybody on this board, I think you would have tried all the possibilities, so I trust what you say, as far as Mac transfers are concerned (especially if we're talking a large amount of files). In the past, I wouldn't have participated in Mac related threads, due to my lack of knowledge, but after having conversations with you, it's allowed me to be more knowledgable for the few family members that have Mac computers (or Macbooks), but have Android phones.
  12. Simon_Gardner

The long term solution is for Apple to make a change to allow its OS to mount Android phones on the desktop which is not beyond the bounds of possibility. But not yet. We went through all this in the past with PC disks and eg Windows PCs which was eventually solved but it took many years. I'm not holding my breath and I'm not buying an iPhone either.
  13. AndroidProf

AndroidProf Well-Known Member

have you tried this android transfer software? Android File Transfer it will work swiftly from your mac, you can move files from the android to the mac then back-up the copied photos and delete the ones in the android. When your android device and mac are synced it will be as easy as drag and drop. 64Gb might be alot of files to move, but since these are pictures, it won't take long when you select all and then move. Hope this works for you, its what I use.
  14. Simon_Gardner