Back Up Texts from Rom to Rom?

Last Updated:

1. j-mac

j-mac New Member This Topic's Starter

This forum has been really helpful to rooting my Eris, so thanks to everyone for the guides and help. I wanted to throw my eris off a bridge until I rooted it but now I actually kind of like it haha.

Im running KayosFroyo v29, and would like to try some of the more stable versions out there (I believe they are up to 34 now). However I hate that I loose all my texts flashing from one to another. Is there something that can do to back them up and load them into a new rom?

Any help would be appreciated

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

There is a free app in the market called SMS Backup & Restore. It's even smart enough to check to see if a message already exists before restoring a duplicate. I use this now all of the time, and have had no problems going from ROM to ROM, even from 2.2 to 2.1.

SMS Backup & Restore - Android app on AppBrain

So, run a backup right before you flash or Nand restore, then a restore after you set up the new ROM.

j-mac likes this.
  3. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

with titanium backup the "sms/mms/apn..." that has all the numbers you dialed and all the text messages

4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I like SMS Backup and Restore more for SMS messages. Trying to restore that with Titanium from a 2.1 ROM to Kaos Froyo will force close the messaging app. Titanium's developer warns that backing up system data between different ROMs with Titanium can be problematic.

One note about SMS Backup & Restore though: it does not yet backup or restore MMS.

5. ppbb

ppbb Well-Known Member

In addition to all of the above, remember to do a NAND backup. Just in case you want to go back and or have troubles flashing.

6. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

I've backed up an restored across 1.6 to 2.1 using titanium with no problems, were only dealing with the data in the storage which is not platform or version dependant, I can understand about other system settings though.

http://matrixrewriter.com/android/

• #5: Can it back up SMS, MMS and system settings ?
      • YES. The most useful "system items" are green-colored and have a prefix such as [SMS/MMS/APN] in the list.
      • Other system items (that are usually less useful to backup) are red-colored.
      • Please note that if you backup and restore all system settings across very different ROMs, you are on your own.