Background, closing, killing, oh my...

Last Updated:

1. xklaliburx

xklaliburx Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 26, 2010
    New to the EVO / Android, but after the crap Apple did with the iP4, I had to return it and move on.

Love the Evo, the OS / functionality, etc. and have a few simple questions, as I dig through the manual, people always are better and can suggest apps, etc. as opposed to 'the manual way', so doing both.

TaskKiller: to me (being a linux guy), it shows the apps/processes running and kills them. Well I have numerous ones that I kill, then just appear again, apps like Decaf (amazon cloud manager), sprint navigation (which I don't even use), voice mail, News, and so on. So I select them, I watch the Avail Mem go up a bit (side question, what is a good amt not more is better, but 70m, etc.), but after a few mins, they just appear again!

Running app switch: If I hold the Home Key for a few, it pops a tiny window which to me is an <alt> <tab> type of thing showing the running apps. I can goto taskkiller, kill something, hold home and it's there, so this goes with #1, does the taskkiller really kill it, if so why would it appear there?

So that's it for starters, looking forward to exploring the device more, reading and coming up with better questions :)

Thanks ....

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Jun 10, 2010

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Yup, long press on Home button gives you the last 6 used applications, regardless if they're active or not. So in that sense, it's not an ALT-TAB feature, although that's how I've used it.

As for task killing, these days I use my task killer for switching to apps (a true ALT-TAB feature). It's very rare for you to need to kill an app. And those annoying factory Sprint crapware apps that keep coming up, there's nothing you can do about that unless you fully root your phone. Killing those apps won't save you battery.

There are tons of battery-saving tips around, but I'll just say that the most important things to change for increased battery life is to minimize the phone's use of its radios: GPS, 4G, wifi hotspot searching, data syncing. Once you get those under control, you'll see much better battery life.

And when you root and can throttle your CPU, you will see amazing battery life.