Background Data Off = No email?Support

Last Updated:

1. teamwhite

teamwhite Member This Topic's Starter

Hello. New Samsung Moment owner here. I am coming from a Blackberry, and would like to receive my email as it comes. I've learned through the forums that turning off Background Data on the Momemt saves battery life. I've done that. I've also left the Auto Sync button checked (Gmail, Calendar, Contacts). However, my email never comes unless I physically go into Gmail and press refresh. I don't get it.

While I love the many features of this phone, I am really missing my Blackeberry :(. Any suggestions, or is this just the way it is?

Advertisement
  2. mywhip

mywhip Well-Known Member

You can turn off different options under data sync, and gmail is one of them.

3. teamwhite

teamwhite Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply, mywhip. Yes, Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar are all checked. Still no email unless I manually refresh. Email won't send unless I refresh, either. Help.

4. johnbarry3434

johnbarry3434 Active Member

Disabling background data disables the auto-syncing of Gmail.

5. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

What John said. That's why it's an awful, crappy, band-aid of a solution for a poor battery life problem and it makes me angry every time I hear that that's what Samsung (or is it Sprint) is suggesting.

6. andremike

andremike Active Member

What applications need background syncing? I have 3 listed on my phone.. GMAIL, CALENDAR and Contacts. Should all thos be checked and what does this do?

If I put contact on my home screen does that drain the battery faster because its syncing them?

7. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

Have you noticed that when you turn background data off, the other options are grayed out?