• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Background Processes - what are they

DaveSyd

Android Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2011
I know there are several variations on the software loaded and battery performance is pretty good where so of the bloatware do not seem to be affecting battery life too much, but I cant fathom why some these are running; Anyone know how to stop them without going in kill hem every time?

• StoryAlbum - a fraction of people would use this and yet it runs in the background ALL the time.
  • ChatON - ditto
  • Samsung Watchon, OK maybe after I start the app but without doing that it's always running - why?
  • Samsung Apps - ditto
  • Samsung Link
  • Software update - even when I turn off 'Auto Update' in settings, more it's still running
Does anyone know what these do?
  • ELM Agent
  • Unified Daemon (EUR)
  • PageBuddyNotiSvc
I maybe OCD but it's such a long list compared my S2

StoryAlbum - Never touched it to know what it is.

ChatOn - Like any other messenger service it will run in the background. It's an always on chat service, like Hangouts, Skype, etc and millions use it. It's just not that popular stateside.

WatchOn - Looks for TV show suggestions based on what you've been watching (via likes or channel changing). Will occasionally display notifications with these suggestions or reminders for a show.

Samsung Apps - Same reason Google Play always runs. App checks and all that fun stuff. Some items are available through Samsung Apps only, and not Google Play.

Samsung Link - Part of the ecosystem used for media sharing to other devices. I.E. sending pics to a PC or TV, or using your PC to browse your mobile pics.

Software Update - Can't tell ya. Not running on mine.

ELM Agent - Emulated Legacy Mount for multi-user support

Unified Daemon (EUR) - Related to background downloads, usually stock apps/widgets.

PageBuddyNotiSvc - Part of the Notification services. Some launchers can access the levels of it, allowing the disabling of individual parts of it. One is the ever annoying recommended apps that appears when you plug in headphones.

If an app cannot be disabled through it's info in App manager, you'll need a task killer or Titanium Backup to freeze it.

Upvote 0
I know there are several variations on the software loaded and battery performance is pretty good where so of the bloatware do not seem to be affecting battery life too much, but I cant fathom why some these are running; Anyone know how to stop them without going in kill hem every time?

• StoryAlbum - a fraction of people would use this and yet it runs in the background ALL the time.
  • ChatON - ditto
  • Samsung Watchon, OK maybe after I start the app but without doing that it's always running - why?
  • Samsung Apps - ditto
  • Samsung Link
  • Software update - even when I turn off 'Auto Update' in settings, more it's still running
Does anyone know what these do?
  • ELM Agent
  • Unified Daemon (EUR)
  • PageBuddyNotiSvc
I maybe OCD but it's such a long list compared my S2

OKAY SO MY ROUTER KEPT GETTING HACKED BY A DEVICE WE DID NOT OWN. I'D REMOVE IT BLOCK IT AND IT WOULD RECREATE NEW MAC ADDRESS AND READS ITSELF TO MY WIRELESS NETWORK. I CALLED GCI...EVERY SINGLE BLOCKED DEVICE THAT KEPT MAKING NEW MAC ADDRESS BELONG TO "ELM DATA SOLUTION LLC"
GET RID OF ELM AGENT!

Upvote 0
Welcome to our AndroidForums, JustJul3...

It sounds like that's (the ELM agent app) a vendor / carrier / manufacturer pre-installed app.

See if you can go into Settings -> Apps and browse (swipe left) the various tabs (DOWNLOADED, RUNNING, and ALL) until you can find that app. Select it and see if you have the option to DISABLE it.

If you can't, then your only recourse might be to root your device and use those powers to disable it.

Is your device a Samsung Galaxy S4? (I only ask because that's the device area you posted in--no biggie if not).

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones