Backing Up Apps - Help Please

Last Updated:

1. williamj1

williamj1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi.

So i've had my desire for a few weeks now but I'm at the stage where I'm starting to get more confident with it and am beginning to fiddle about with various things. Inevitably, this means I sometimes have to do a full factory reset from time to time. Coming from the world of apple, this never used to be a problem as iTunes backed up apps and app data with every sync. So my question....

Is there a way or app which can backup all my apps and the data in them ie. gameloft game save files / progress so that I can simply resync or copy them back to my phone after a restore?

Also, if I backup manually just by copying the sd card files into a folder on my computer, will this also backup app data assuming I copy hidden files too? So if my sd card were to break, I could just get a new one and copy the files back? Game data staying intact?

I researched and found you can apparently do it with Titanium Backup and launcher pro but I'm not rooted and don't want to (yet) so they aren't options as I understand? A more viable option is something called AppBrain but I don't really understand again?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Yeah unless rooted, backup options are limited.

AppBrain is basically a website that has all the Android market apps on there. You pay through appbrain and use the appbrain app on your phone to download and install apps. I assume it stores all your purchased app information (moving forward) so if you wipe, you can re-install them easily enough.

williamj1 likes this.
  3. williamj1

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

Ok. So although that sounds promising, how does purchasing through them work? Likewise updating apps? And does that mean you can use alternative methods i.e pay pal? Cause currently my bank charge me an extra

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I don't use appbrain myself so I'll leave that one for someone else.

In regards to sd files, it really depends on the game. Some store files on teh SD but others I've noticed may not.

You would assume that if you reinstall an app with data on the SD card, it would pick up that data again. I used to back up all my apps with Astro, but the ones I restored never picked up any data there so not sure about that.

Unfortunately, titanium is perfect for your situation but I cant think of an app that would be as useful in a non rooted phone.

Have you looked at Mybackup pro? Theres a 30 day trial on the market

5. williamj1

Nope, but I will do. Thanks for the help.

Anyone else.... experiences of app brain?

6. sare99

sare99 Well-Known Member

Nope.....but I am using the free 30 day trial of MyBackup Pro and will definitely upgrade to the full version once the trial expires because it's easy to use, does exactly what it says on the tin and restored everything for me perfectly after I performed a recent factory reset.......obviously I had to go back to the market and re-download the app again afterwards so as to re-instate from the backup files saved to my SD card.

FYI I also downloaded and used a secondary free app called "App List Backup" which just gives you a useful list of the apps you have installed and redirects you to the correct market page for each one in the event that you do have to re-install one.

williamj1 likes this.