• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Backing up apps when changing rom?

Either tap the individual app entries to get "restore" options or press "menu", select "batch" and use those.

Hi

Yes thats true but lets say I took a backup with present ROM and its applications, now I erased and flashed another ROM, may be Titanium comes already on the ROM or I installed it.
At this point running Titanium would not find any app on the phone which were there with the previous ROM, so I assume there should be a way in Titanium to do a Restore from the sdcard for the new ROM..???

I just checked the Batch option, there is no option for Restore..
I guess this app is only for Backup but not for restore??

thanks

Upvote 0
I just checked the Batch option, there is no option for Restore.

Bottom of the batch list.... "Restore missing apps with data", "Restore missing apps + all system data", "Restore all apps with data"?

I guess this app is only for Backup but not for restore??

One is pretty pointless without the other. ;)

Upvote 0
Bottom of the batch list.... "Restore missing apps with data", "Restore missing apps + all system data", "Restore all apps with data"?

One is pretty pointless without the other. ;)

thanks Slug

found those three options for restore... somehow missed that, i would blame it to vodka ;)
ok I took the backup with Titanium, stored on sdcard.
then I changed my previous MCR 3.1 to 3UK customised ROM (rooted) as per the one on modaco's site, newer ver 2.73.771.73..
got an error with Titanium, asking for busybox, chkd forum threads and sorted the problem..
Now as per your instruction I found those three options
1) "Restore missing apps with data"
2) "Restore missing apps + all system data"
3) "Restore all apps with data"?
I tried option 1, but nothing got restored from sdcard?
tried 3rd option as well, no luck...
I did not try 2nd option as it says All System Data... I assume the ROM ver is changed so System Data files are also changed and so I did not want to mess it..
Any idea what and how this can be sorted.. my backup has nearly 60 apps.. :) I dont want to go thru that hassle again for installing all the apps from mkt..
but if there is no way out then ya I might need to do that...
And ya thnks for that advice on Radio, this time I installed it with the latest ver, followed your guidelines and things went smoothly...

thanks

Upvote 0
It is a pity Titanium only works on a rooted Hero.
And i don't have that.

Any other suggestions, to backup also System data?

I assume you can use "Quick System Info" as well even if its not rooted, I am not entirely sure though... just try it out...
Titanium is a very good application but before that I used this quick system info and that used to backup the entire application stored on the phone in the form of .apk file... which is really helpful when you want to restore that app again... and u dont really require any specific application to restore but even Linda's Filemanager can do it...

Just try it out...
Hope it help..

Upvote 0
As mentioned on a separate thread a few days ago, I can't use the marketplace or any Google apps since the Googlemail to Gmail debacle. I can't change my Gmail back to Googlemail and I can't login with Gmail so I'm gonna just bite the bullet and reset the phone and start again.

I'm keen to not lose my apps however but can't install any of the backup apps on to my phone. Can any bright sparks think of a way round this?

Unrooted Hero on Orange in the UK, latest official Orange Firmware.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones