• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backing up Contacts and Calendar

If you have a computer and have gmail then any add/change to your device or computer is changed/updated. This includes your calender, contact, & g docs. All are "stored" in the cloud.

Ok but what I am worried about is if someone were to take my phone then they would have the ability to wipe out my contacts and calendar which would sync with gmail and ultimately wipe out my gmail account (I think).

Upvote 0
Ok but what I am worried about is if someone were to take my phone then they would have the ability to wipe out my contacts and calendar which would sync with gmail and ultimately wipe out my gmail account (I think).
Good question. What about remote wipe programs for when a phone is lost...does that also remove contacts/calender events not only on the phone but also within gmail account?

Upvote 0

Yes, they would have that ability. To back up your contacts, go into Contacts -> More actions -> Export...

To restore Contacts -> More actions -> Import... the file you backed up earlier

Here is a link with instructions to backup your calendar

Upvote 0
Yes, they would have that ability. To back up your contacts, go into Contacts -> More actions -> Export...
Does that also backup the photo associated with each contact or just contact data? If I backup from web based gmail, will that backup the contact photos?
Verizon's backup feature only backs up contact data, not contact photos.

Upvote 0
Does that also backup the photo associated with each contact or just contact data? If I backup from web based gmail, will that backup the contact photos?
Verizon's backup feature only backs up contact data, not contact photos.

It doesn't back up the contact pictures. It backs it up to an Excel file. One thing you can do, is set up a Picasa album and put all of your contact pictures in there. Then in Gmail, when you add a photo to a contact, you can choose to link it to a Picasa picture. If all your Gmail contacts get erased, you can re-link all of the photos. Not the most ideal solution if you have a crap ton of contacts, though

Reactions: rapidsandroid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones