Backing up contacts, preferably not using HTC Sync?

Last Updated:

1. teacupcakes

teacupcakes Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I feel like this is such a stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere else.

How do I go about backing up my contacts prior to installing, e.g., the new ROM upgrade on the Hero? Presumably I would need to get the data actually off the phone on to my computer but I can't figure out how to, and I have too many contacts to save them all individually to my SIM card.

I have been having major problems with HTC Sync (as long as it's installed on my computer it seems to knock out my wireless internet connection intermittently, which makes no sense, but I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times and it's definitely HTC Sync doing it) so if there's a method that doesn't involve HTC Sync it would be much appreciated.

Any advice (on either issue really, backups and Sync screwing up my wireless) would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Advertisement
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Question, how did you get your contacts onto the phone in the first place???

I think that the best thing for you to do is to import them for example, into Outlook (not sure if this is possible, but I am guessing it is). Then export out of Outlook all your contacts as a .CSV file.

If you could get this far, you would then be able to create a GoogleMail account (like I have). All your contacts would automatically be synchronised onto your phone & this problem would not reoccur.

I have all my contacts on GoogleMail & it is easy.

The difficult bit, like I said, is to try to find a way of exporting your contacts out of your phone into Outlook or some other program, in order to create the .CSV file.

Hoping somebody else may be able to contribute as to whether this is possible.

3. Andronix

Andronix Well-Known Member

Search for "vCard IO" app at market. You can export/import contacts on the sdcard without google.

4. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Get the app MYBackUp Pro ... backs uo apps, contacts, sms, data, settings, etc...

5. mattr

mattr New Member

I have the same problem but when installing htc sync, I not only lose my wireless drivers but also the ethernet / local area network connection.

I want to be able to sync. not just backup. Any ideas how to solve it?

6. geeingu

geeingu Well-Known Member

i use mylookout in the market i luv that app

7. lucidcoin

lucidcoin New Member

Sense UI's People application has an "Export to SD Card" option in the menu doesn't it?

RobAGD likes this.
  8. drummer10630

drummer10630 Member

9. ticho

ticho Well-Known Member

10. drummer10630

drummer10630 Member

It's a bit slow, but it works great. You can backup and restore contacts, photos, files, and view and change settings, even drag and drop stuff to and from your storage card. Your phone just needs to be connected to a local network first (router, access point, same network as your computer) , then start the program on the phone, and it gives you the phone's IP on the network, you just enter it into ANY browser and you're connected. Has a simple but nice UI.

11. MarDoubleT

MarDoubleT Active Member

Wavesecure?

12. drummer10630

drummer10630 Member

I have Wave Secure, and sorry but it's buggy. I have experienced FC at trying to backup more than 1400 contacts with WiFi, and when I backed up and uploaded 1334 contacts, it only saved 1332. And this was from a fresh install with zero Google contacts, and none already on their site.

13. byngo

byngo Member

I think the above is a good solution but i did have trouble at first.
    I exported my contacts from my old phone (samsung) via pc software to a csv file and then imported them to my new Google Mail account contacts.
    When i synced the phone with google they all came acrosss to the phone but only a few of them had the most important "mobile Number" in the correct field so that they could actually be used. Most had the mobile number in the "Notes Field" so I had to copy & paste the everyones mobile number from the notes field to the Mobile Number field and re-sync.
    Now all is fine.

Never straight forward is it!!!;)