• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backing up contacts to google

Hi all,

I've synched by new phone (Galaxy Ace 2) to my gmail account, when i did i received my gmail contacts to my phone, my question is did my phone contacts (stored on my Sim card) go the other way and back up onto my google account?

I'm curious, so lets say worse case scenario I lose my phone, I can buy a new one, with a new Sim card, and once i synch up to my gmail account again all my contact will appear on my new phone?

*All of my contact are currently listed with the Sim card symbol beside them.

Cheers for any input.

Most carriers will allow you to store your contacts in either Google or their own phone book (For example the Verizon phone book). If the contact is saved to the phones contacts its not in Googles contacts.

The fix is to do an export of all your contacts then go to a PC and go to Gmail. Go into the contacts there and import all of them into your google contacts on your PC. they will then auto synch back into your phone as google ones.

Reactions: Neilb24
Upvote 0
StarScream2109;[URL="tel:5085536" said:
5085536[/URL]]If you sign in with a Gmail account on your phone it will sync contacts onto Google servers so if you get a new phone you can re-sync your contacts

You have to make sure that new contacts are set up to be saved to Google, in the contacts app. (And not to SIM.) If not, only the old contacts will sync. with Google.

Also, the SIM, at least for AT&T, only backup name and number. So if you have additional info. for your contacts, like notes, email addresses, etc. they won't save to the SIM. But in Google, they can back up that info.

Reactions: Neilb24
Upvote 0
Cheers guys all those answers have made the whole situation alot clearer!

I exported my contacts from the Sim but that just left me with double contacts (one for sim one for phone) which was quite annoying so I just manually deletd the phone ones...

If I manage to back them up to google can i just keep them there so to speak so they wont double up my contact list again, but be there in case I need them?

I also noticed that the Sim only holds name and number which is a little annoying since there is no way I am going to delete the Sim card and work off the phone memory in case of phone breakage!

Upvote 0
Neilb24;[URL="tel:5086802" said:
5086802[/URL]]Cheers guys all those answers have made the whole situation alot clearer!

I exported my contacts from the Sim but that just left me with double contacts (one for sim one for phone) which was quite annoying so I just manually deletd the phone ones...

If I manage to back them up to google can i just keep them there so to speak so they wont double up my contact list again, but be there in case I need them?

I also noticed that the Sim only holds name and number which is a little annoying since there is no way I am going to delete the Sim card and work off the phone memory in case of phone breakage!

Yes, you can just keep them there in Google. You can make an extra back up of all your contacts to save on your computer. Save it as a vcf file. This is what I did to make sure I can restore all my contacts in case of a phone crash, got lost or stolen. I deleted all my contacts off my SIM as well. Since I don't have my SIM password protected, if my phone was lost/stolen, they could just pop out the SIM and place it in another cellphone to access my contacts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones