Backing Up Data (Forgive me FemNoob)Support

Last Updated:

1. harukasan73

harukasan73 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Good Afternoon. I am an android Noob, and in need of a bit of help before I do anything silly to it.

I did a search and did not see anything to match my question in the forums.

I have an HTC Evo, I have had it for about a month and a half, I am really liking it buuuut.......

I want to do things to it... blame it on my inner geek or whatever, but I just dont like things the way they are, I like to customize... funny that since I have a mac as a machine, lol.

So heres my point: I want to back up my favorite apps, and the data that I have saved with them, along with my contacts, messages, notes, and so on. I want the back up saved to my mac. Now I can bring up my SD card on my mac through bluetooth, and I can get the other portion of the EVO's info through connecting it as a hard disc... I have no clue why I cant have both at the same time, but anyways, Its obvious how to backup the pics and vids, because I can just drag and drop them, and I have google sync setup, even though I cant actually see all my contacts in my google account. I guess I am just trying to fugure out what the really important files are named. Should I backup device.xml? the android data folder? where are my saved maps located, and how do I back them up? Or my Yelp information? Also I can still see stuff saved on my SD card that I deleted.... how do I get that junk off? Once I backup everything, I want to root my evo.... so um is there a way for me to put it back to factory settings if I hate it being rooted? and when its rooted, can I use all my favorite apps on it? Footprints, yelp, navigation, and so on? Will the Sprint police come and kick my arse all the way to the moon? Oh and where exactly are all my contacts located, so I can back them up myself? Lol sorry for being such an obvious ding dong, but as you can see, I want to be very careful with this phone, :eek:) Thank you for any help you can provide, and please forgive any typing errors and what not, I have two teenage boys running around my livingroom shooting each other with airsoft guns, and I'm about to go postal on them. :eek:)

~Haruka

Advertisement
  2. harukasan73

Okilydokaly, I suppose I will just tear my evo apart, and screw it up on my own, lol Maybe there are no answers to my questions, hmmmm would it help if I told you I am 5'6" Blonde Blue eyes, tiny waist and huge knockers? lol well its not true anyways, but thought I would try.

3. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Since you are not rooted, you can use mybackup pro to backup all of you settings and apps. If you don't like being rooted, you just run the RUU and it brings you back to full stock, then restore using mybackup pro. Once you root I recommend using Titanium Backup. Rooting will not affect your ability to run apps, in fact, you can run more apps if you root.

harukasan73 likes this.
  4. harukasan73

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I was already in the process of doing all kinds of things with it... like, I ejected the sd card, put it on my mac, opened up terminal in my mac, and told it to show hidden files, so I backed up everything including the hidden files, then renamed the hiddens by taking the . off in front of the hidden folders, and now they aew no longer hidden. also I was copying files off the andriod OS onto the sd card with astro, and then I was going to use the same process, and eject the sd card and put it all on my mac. then I planned on going to the market, and getting an android app for backing up, and then I was going to root the darn thing, because I wanted a different lock screen, and was ticked about the stupid tethering not working, among things, lol Thank you for your help! :eek:)