• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backing Up For The Non-Rooted Windows User?

PeteCress

Android Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
Paoli PA, USA
Galaxy Note w/60-gig SD card.

I'd been using MobileGo's backup, but it's recently dawned on me that the folder sizes in it's backup bore no resemblance at all to the size of the device's onboard data.

For apps, I'm relying on the sync'd history of AppBrain's AppMarket.

I've got Kies' backup running as I write this (in fact, it's been running for almost an hour...), but what jumps out at me, besides the clock time, is all the explicit categories that Kies wants me to check.

How is Kies going to know about a folder called "Books From Work" on the external SD? What about a folder called "Whatever" on the built-in SD?

I've tried a couple of folder copies without success. MobileGo's hung on some kind of FTP problem. The Android USB utility approach was also problematic over several attempts, but I can't recall the details.

My instinct says I want some sort of utility that reliably copies everything from the device to a local hard drive or, preferably, to a NAS box.

• The device's internal storate
  • /mnt/sdcard
  • /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

I'm thinking that maybe FX v1.0.2 could do that if I were willing to do it manually, but the real agenda is something that runs on a Windows box and can be run relatively automagically.

I know that, being non-rooted, I can't have it all. But I'd at least like to feel like I'm not going to lose any data if the device goes "Poof!". And *any* backup scheme would appear tb suspect in the absence of having a second to test it on.

Bottom line, does anybody that's not rooted have a backup scheme that they trust against the day when the device is lost and a new device has tb populated?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones