Backing up my One X+Support

Last Updated:

1. Styxx

Styxx Well-Known Member

I got my One X+ a few weeks ago and it's great. The one problem I do have, however, I'd that there's something loose in the earpiece which causes a rattling sound when I'm on a call. I spoke to the guys at Phones4U and they will replace the phone, but they've given me a few days to get everything backed up so I can exchange the phone without losing anything. So here's my question:

What's the best way to back up my phone?

Ideally I'd like to keep everything, including apps and my progress in games etc. There's a couple of apps that have their own backup utilities, but I don't know how to do it for the whole phone. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Advertisement
  2. JAy3001

JAy3001 Well-Known Member

As far as I am aware, you need root to be able to fully backup your apps and data i'm afraid.

You could however backup your "android" folder to your pc, then take a look and see if there are any apps or games stored in there, normally in the "data" subfolder. If so you maybe in luck and find that's where your data is saved. Then it's just a matter of restoring them files later on.

There is no guarantee it would work and not all apps store their data in there, but worth a try. The worse that could happen is you crash the game and if that happens just reinstall.
  3. Styxx

Styxx Well-Known Member

Fair enough, thought that would be the case but it's always worth asking. Thanks for the reply!
  4. greatsnoring

greatsnoring Well-Known Member

I read there is a new app called something like carbon backup which is meant to back up data on nnon rooted phones. There haven't tried it yet though.
    JAy3001 likes this.
  5. Styxx

Styxx Well-Known Member

Thanks! Unfortunately I tool the defective phone back last week, so it's not much use now, but I do appreciate the suggestion. Good to know for future reference :)
  6. JAy3001

JAy3001 Well-Known Member

Nice find greatsnoring. I have given the app a go and am unsure if it even works tbh.

It takes a little bit to setup via ur pc, and some usb wriggling to get it to detect ur phone. Once setup you should be able to back to your sdcard, of course the hox does not have one which is where there is a possible problem. It does seem to make the backup on the phone, but will not backup downloaded data, only app and some config files? No matter if you pick full or standard backup.

Once backed up, I cleared the games data to clear the saves and then restored. Said it worked, but alas not. Now this could be a bug because the hox does not have an sdcard. I cannot fully test the cloud function as I have a terrible connection and only play huge games. Plus you need the premium version to restore. However, it did look like the app was performing a full backup onto cloud.

I would like to see someone else test this app though. So my verdict is undecided as I think the hox is not fully supported.
  7. Styxx

Styxx Well-Known Member

If you can back up to phone storage, I think the best method would be to find the backup file and save it to a PC after the app has created it. That way you can put it back manually, it's similar to saving to an SD card then removing it and replacing it etc.