Backing up my ROM

Last Updated:

1. splynncryth

splynncryth New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm new to the world of root. I used the rageagainstthecage method to become one the many now with root piveleges on hs/her Droid.
    I want to back up my ROM before doing any further playing with my new capabilities.
    I don't know if this has been asked before, the information I have found seems to be inolved in previous proceedures to get root access and I don't know what is still applicable if any of it is.
    It looks like I need to use RSD lite to do something with SPRecovery. Will the current version work with 2.2? For that matter, will it overwrite my exsisting ROM (since it appears it will be flashed onto my phone). All the info I have found uses SPReovery as part of the root process. If I do need to flash that onto my phone using RSD lite and I don't need to fear wiping out my ROM, what subset of steps do I need to follow just for SPecovery to allow me to make a ROM backup?

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

You need to have either SPRecovery or Clockwork Recovery installed. Those recovery images have the ability to backup the state of the phone. Installing recoveries will not have any effect on your currently installed ROM, but if you use RSD lite to install an SBF that has a recovery packaged with it, then it will. There should be other available methods (ROM Manager, ADB) of installing recoveries without messing with your current setup, I'm just not familiar with the root method you used.

3. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

Get ROM Manager from the market. Then, flash ClockworkMod Recovery. It is the first option once you open ROM Manager. You can also flash SPRecovery, which is located at the bottom of the main list in ROM Manager, it's your choice which one you use. I am partial to ClockworkMod Recovery simply because it is easier to flash ROMs, themes, kernels, basebands, etc.

With SPRecovery, you MUST change anything you are planning to flash from <filename>.zip to update.zip. This must be done every time for SPRecovery to work. However, ClockworkMod Recovery can flash everything with the original file name and does NOT need file names to be changed to update.zip.

With the advancements that have been made, you really don't ever need to use RSD Lite except to remover root and return your phone to a stock, Verizon and Motorola approved state.

Hope this helps some.

Kratos

4. splynncryth

splynncryth New Member This Topic's Starter

The tech details are pretty interesting if you are into that sort of thing.

This android forums post has the steps wrapped up into a more simplified system, but you can read the batch files to see what is going on.
    So I didn't need RSD lite or any recovery images to get root. This was giving me difficulties when I was trying to follow directions for creating a backup, the guides assumed I had something other than the stock recoveyr image installed already :)

That loks to be the least painful way. It looks lke I have to find the 'right' version of SPRecovery if I want to use it, and then eed to flash it onto my phone.

So ClockworkMod looks to be my best option and the one I'l be going with.
    Thanks for the help.

Just out of curiousity, is it possible to make a backup without flashing anything?

5. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

You can backup your apps and their data with Titanium Backup, but in order to make a full backup of your current state phone, you must have a recovery listed above.

Kratos