Backing up texts as preparation for Hard Reset

Last Updated:

1. thorthemighty

thorthemighty New Member This Topic's Starter

I did not register my googlemail account on my Hero when I initially set it up but want to do so now. I get the old 'sim card may not be provisioned for data services' error message and have read up that I will have to do a hard reset.
    This will wipe out my texts so I want to know is there a way to back them up? I am aware there are utilities in the android marketplace for this purpose but as I cannot sign in to my googlemail account via my phone, I cannot make use of them.

Advertisement
  2. ticho

ticho Well-Known Member

Perhaps someone with rooted Hero can download and install one of the SMS backup apps, then pull it out of their phone and upload somewhere for you.

3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Good idea ticho :) Any .apk you're given you can install via HTC sync on your PC.

This is the only one I can find on google: android-sms - Project Hosting on Google Code

It will back up your messages to your email account, not your phone. They will be stored as emails and you can't get them back to the phone.

(You have to give the app your email account details, so I presume it would work even if you never set up the phone with your email account).

4. thorthemighty

thorthemighty New Member This Topic's Starter

So I maybe able to back them up if I root my phone? I think it is time for me to read up on rooting. You can't knacker your phone by making a mistake when rooting can you?

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator