• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backing up without Rooting? (in plain English please...)

CJPalermo21

Jan 19, 2011
Hello,

So, a while back, I went through *every* post on this forum (and on droidforums and incredibleforum) and bookmarked every thread that seemed interesting. I've been making my way through those threads, taking down notes, etc.

I have a few questions. I'm not rooted, and probably never will be (not because I'm not technically savvy -- I'm okay on that front, I think -- but, I have the worst luck in the world; and I'm gunshy now!)

So, here are my questions, and I'm hoping I can get a few answers...

1. I'd like to backup anything I download (not the data, just the installer). I know the Market keeps track; but -- what if the app comes off the market and I change phones -- since I've already paid for the app, I'd probably want to keep using it. I do this for my PC (so I have a copy of it). Is there a way to do this without being rooted?

1a. And, if there is, why is there so much hate towards Gameloft -- if you can archive the installer, can't you just reinstall later?

2. I think I understand the process of downloading from sites other than the Market -- whether free or paid -- you *mount* the phone like removable storage; transfer the file to the phone, and use a file manager to navigate to the file and run it, thus installing -- is this effectively correct? And, this can be done without being rooted, as well, right?

3. Finally - for those who are rooted, out of curiosity -- do you cancel the insurance on the phone? :)

Thanks for your help!

Chris

"My backup pro" backs up the app installer.

All the apps you download are tied to your email address, so it doesn't matter if you switch phones. There will always be a record of what apps you downloaded, free or paid. There is also the app "appbrain" that will keep track of your apps.

Everyone has the ability to install non market apps.

no reason to cancel insurance if you are rooted. Your phone is still just as likely to be stolen, lost, dropped, or have something spilled on it.

Reactions: CJPalermo21
Upvote 0
Thanks...

So, why are people freaking over Gameloft (the idea that, if you switch phones, you need to repurchase the game?)

If you can archive the installer -- since you bought it -- can't you just reinstall? Or, are those people that don't have a backup program.

And -- while you say everyone can install non-market apps; is my 'process' effectively correct?

Thank you once again!

Upvote 0
yes you are correct.

easy free way :

download / install astro file viewer (free on market).
using the backup option will allow you to create apk files (install files) of apps you have installed on your phone.

you can then copy the apk files to your pc or sd card or where ever for safe keeping.

and yes, you can download apk files, move them to your phone, use astro to browse / install them.

Upvote 0
Thanks...

So, why are people freaking over Gameloft (the idea that, if you switch phones, you need to repurchase the game?)

If you can archive the installer -- since you bought it -- can't you just reinstall? Or, are those people that don't have a backup program.

And -- while you say everyone can install non-market apps; is my 'process' effectively correct?

Thank you once again!

I'm not familiar with gameloft, but it's possible the installer generates a unique key for every phone, so if you change phones it may not work... Again I am just hypothesizing.
Gameloft makes games that aren't available on the Android market i'm assuming?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones