backlight goes out from incoming call and won't come back onSupport

Last Updated:

1. helomech

helomech New Member This Topic's Starter

Title pretty much says it all.

Every thing works fine until I receive an incoming call. When I answer the call, the screen goes black. After the call, it's still blacked out. I can't do anything with it except pull the battery.

Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing? Is there a fix all for this? ie, factory reset? If so, what's factory reset do? If my contacts are on the card, they're still there? It just dumps the apps, etc? Or do I have to reprogram the phone, etc.

Thanks. New to the droid world.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Factory reset removes all your apps and such, as well as settings, from the DROID. The good news is that contacts, some settings and all your paid apps are linked directly to your Google account, so those won't be lost. The bead news is that after a reset, sometimes your apps will automagically reinstall and sometimes will not.

You problem may be caused by a bad sensor, or it may be something else - are you using standard means to talk on the phone (holding it up to your ear) or are you trying to use speakerphone / BT headsets?

3. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

When it happens, try running your finger to cover and uncover the sensor to the left of the earpiece. If you angle your phone just right you can see there are 2 sensors to the left of the earpiece. Can't remember which one is the proximity sensor, but on my phone it doesn't matter because just getting my finger in the vicinity while in call will toggle my screen. Lots of people have this issue. If it happens a lot you might consider swapping out the phone, but try this first and see if you can wake up it back up. It happens to my father-in-law but at least now I've told him how to get the screen back on.

4. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Does pushing the standby/lock button wake it back up?

5. helomech

helomech New Member This Topic's Starter

I have the clear screen protector on, I'll try removing that and see what happens. Also, the standby button does nothing. ONLY pulling the battery will work.

6. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

the screen protector shouldn't be an issue. if it doesn't wake back up by covering and uncovering the sensor, i would return it.

yeah the standby button doesn't work in this situation because that isn't what turned the screen off in the first place. it's the proximity sensor not waking the screen back up.