Backlight too Dim

Last Updated:

1. cyearns

cyearns Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I have an issue with my Hero where occasionally I will go to use the phone and the backlight is on the dimest possible setting. Normally within 30 seconds to one minute the backlight will brighten up to an acceptable level.

The auto backlight feature is enabled. If I disable it, the backlight works at the specified level, however I would prefer to have the auto backlight feature.

Is there something I need to check to see why the backlight is taking so long to come on to an acceptable level?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

happens to me aswel its kinda random-

3. cyearns

Any help on this issue guys? It seems like it is getting worse. I know I can turn up the brightness manually but I would much prefer the auto-backlight.

4. Drazil

Drazil Well-Known Member

I think it's probably the service that monitors the sensor takes a while to kick in, especially if the screen has been off for a while and it needs to wake up again.

I also notice sometimes when I'm playing a game if my hand covers the sensor for a few seconds the screen will get dimmer and it's annoying as hell.

5. cyearns

Where is the ambient light sensor?

It almost seems like it is just not sensitive enough rather then slow to react because when I'm using the phone i'm not experiencing real amount of lag plus if I put it up close to a light it pops right on.

Any way to adjust the sensitivity? If there is I'm sure you to root, which I haven't done yet.

6. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Have you contacted Sprint and asked them about your problem.

7. stinky

stinky Well-Known Member

The light sensor is on the ear piece on the opposite (right) side of the LED. Its the part that looks like another LED.

I have disabled auto backlight, it was too problematic for me. I just keep it at about 25-35% and thats fine for most situations.

8. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

the sensors are up by the earpiece. they are finicky and i disable that also.. when i would need the backlight to be brighter it wouldnt and the opposite would occur also.. lol.. using the auto backlight will hit more power usage out of the battery since it is constantly changing brightness , and at times from extremes... if you set it to one specific setting that takes less of a hit on the battery and you have a more equal current draw...

9. cyearns

No I haven't contacted Sprint because I was unsure of what they would do. I trust you guys more then some of the techs that Sprint has. Also I bought my phone off ebay so I'm also unsure if they would honor the warranty since I did not buy it at a Sprint store.

I guess I'm just stuck to disabling the auto backlight...a crap solution, but if that's the best there is I guess I will have to deal. Not the end of the world. :)

10. Drazil

Drazil Well-Known Member

The backlight should go brighter as ambient light brightens, and go darker as ambient light goes darker. Think of it this way, if you were looking at your phone under direct sunlight, you'd want that puppy at full power so you can still read it, and if the room was pitch dark, you wouldn't need it very bright. If you thumb over the sensor, the screen should go darker.

11. mlblack16

mlblack16 Well-Known Member

The auto backlight is another small item that would be really nice if htc can get right in 2.1

Until then, it's so screwy I can't stand having it on. The screen brightness is quite acceptable (for me) set only about 1/4 the way across the slider (if that).

12. cyearns

I haven't tried this out yet, but I came across an app called Brighteriffic that allows you to set a Min and Max brightness. This could help if the min brightness was set high enough to use in bright daylight. Apparently you also have to disable the auto backlight function that is built into the Hero.